• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg

Greg

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

Is it possible to search by Greek accents (for example, to see when oxytones occur as the final word in a phrase or sentence)? Curiosity about "gar" prompted the question: I assume it appears with an acute accent in the Greek NT only at Mark 16:8, but can this be verified without checking all 1041 hits? This question led me to consider other situations in which accents are significant.

#2 Martin Shields

Martin Shields

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

You need to specify an "exact" search, so to find all instances of γάρ (gar with an acute accent) enter the search:
"=γάρ"
including the quotation marks. I find 113 instances in GNT-T, so quite a number. Doing the same with a grave accent results in 928 hits, thus giving the total number of hits for γαρ gar of 1,041.

#3 Greg

Greg

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

Exactly what I was looking for! Predictably "gar" appears with the acute accent when followed by an enclitic. But this search reveals it is additionally found with the acute 11 other times, far more than the one occurrence in Mark 16:8 that had come to my mind. Many thanks.

#4 Roger

Roger

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, Cristian resources in Spanish, Creation Science, Technology for the Church, Church Audio Technician.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

Thank you! This exact search is also useful in Spanish, where the accent marks can change the meaning of the word entirely. When I did a search for ira, the results included both ira (anger) and irá (he will go), But the exact search syntax was able to separate the two words "=ira" and "=irá" This will be very helpful.
Roger Dye
Viña del Mar, Chile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users