import text to user tool

DoktorS

I love to great user tools. It is so easy with copy and paste. But there is one problem. When I copy and paste taste from safari and save the tool everything is ok. But when I copy text from a rtf or Pages document and paste and save it, the user tool shows nice signs instead of umlauts. It is hard to change every letter manually. I am a german user. So I have many umlauts. Can you help me to solve this problem?

post-32086-0-23754400-1359227116_thumb.png

You are encountering an encoding issue. In programs such as Pages, the encoding is most likely utilizing a unicode glyph to display the umlaut (especially if you are accessing the umlaut via the long key depression). The best way to prevent this issue is to work in a text editor such as Text Wrangler. Text editors typically assume that the user is savvy enough to create a file for a particular encoding (e.g., MacRoman, utf 8, utf 16, etc.). Thus, Text Wranger or Textmate will enable you to declare the encoding data. You will also want to use CR as your line endings (not the unix \n).

Let me know if you need any more help. The above can be confusing if you've never encountered encoding system before.

Another thing to consider is if you move to using just a plain text editor is to maintain a source file. You can easily import various HTML files into Accordance, in which event Accordance will interpret the tags and parallel the semantics in its own display (e.g., <h1> becomes a Header with Center attributes in Accordance). Then, if you later make edits, you can import again. The benefit of this is that your data isn't localized to just Accordance, but also available for other applications and writing projects.

Edited by James Tucker