#21 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,836 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

When it comes to the bundles, I'm not interested in a higher bundle. I have quite a varied library already:

I wasn't so much referring to a higher bundle as I was (trying) to encourage you to consider that Accordance is designed for primarly studying the text, not as a reader. That's why the app isn't free. But, you probably understand that already.

Edited by Rick Bennett, 07 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#22 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Well what tools would I need? I'll only study Gk (classical Gk in a secular uni + Biblical Gk in a Christian college). I'm currently taking a few Latin classes but since I have a lot of Science studies I'm not doing well in the Latin class. I started studying Gk on my own about a year ago and have progressed very slowly. It'll take quite some time before I can say I know Gk.

Or what kind of text studies did You mean?

I wasn't so much referring to a higher bundle as I was (trying) to encourage you to consider that Accordance is designed for primarly studying the text, not as a reader. That's why the app isn't free. But, you probably understand that already.

#23 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Well what tools would I need? I'll only study Gk (classical Gk in a secular uni + Biblical Gk in a Christian college). I'm currently taking a few Latin classes but since I have a lot of Science studies I'm not doing well in the Latin class. I started studying Gk on my own about a year ago and have progressed very slowly. It'll take quite some time before I can say I know Gk.

Or what kind of text studies did You mean?

You wouldn't necessarily need anything more than the Starter bundle since we've designed it to give you a solid little selection of resources. The point was that if you're approaching the decision to buy Accordance because of the UBS Handbooks only that's fine, but you're kind of missing the bigger picture of what we're about. It's fine to do that, but you may not get the full Accordance experience.

Does that make sense? Sorry if I have not been clear. I think Tim recorded a podcast a while back about our philosophy…maybe that would help to explain things better than I have here (he's admittedly a much better communicator than I!).

Edited by Rick Bennett, 07 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#24 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I found a relevant podcast: http://www.accordanc...ails/?id=129872

Regarding what to add, Accordance would probably function better with more books but I don't know what would be the best purchases?

Edited by Unix, 07 February 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#25 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I found a relevant podcast: http://www.accordanc...ails/?id=129872

Regarding what to add, Accordance would probably function better with more books but I don't know what would be the best purchases?

That podcast will do a great job at explaining the features and advantages of the UBS Handbooks. I was referring to this on on the Accordance Philosophy.

As far as what other resources, I'll let others chime in. The Graphics Bundle for example will add a different element to your study, and is very popular among our users. 

Edited by Rick Bennett, 07 February 2013 - 04:13 PM.

Rick Bennett
iOS Working Group

#26 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, Greek

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Accordance is designed to make all of the resources work together. Examples of this include looking up commentary on verse, looking up words in a lexicon or bible dictionary, finding a word in a dictionary and searching for everywhere it occurs in in the bible, and finding all mentions of certain verses in a systematic theology book. The more resources you have, the greater the power of that interoperability. If you use multiple software packages, you'll miss out on some of that interoperability. 

But you don't have to buy anything. Just decide what resources you would find helpful. If a particular book is of no interest to you, it doesn't matter if you can search in it. There are lots of great resources available for the Accordance platform, but that's not the question you've been asking. If you want to know more about other interesting resources, ask away!

Two collections I use a lot are the graphics bundle, as Rick mentioned, and the Essential IVP collection.

#27 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Congratulations to Your 400th post Jonathan! I have PLENTY of that kind of reference material in my current software, I'm afraid. Besides the price seems high: http://www.accordanc...=GraphicsBundle The Essential IVP collection is probably cheap so perhaps it would be worthwhile. Additionally I have somewhat much commentaries but I'm sometimes buying more commentaries. Accordance seems to have few of my favourite sets.

Two collections I use a lot are the graphics bundle, as Rick mentioned, and the Essential IVP collection.

What would be other interesting resources? I will also probably be studying 1¼ years of Theology full-time (probably I'll read it part-time though) including Anabaptism. Many of the required books in the studies, are available in my current software.

#28 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

I looked at a podcast about it now, and although I don't have that many dictionaries the ones contained in it (some of which I don't even like) seem a bit superfluous and it's too expensive:

and the Essential IVP collection.

#29 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

If you're interested in theology, you might enjoy the writings of the church fathers or the bible study collection which includes lots of bible translations, a selection of bible dictionaries, the excellent Tyndale commentary, and several resources from a baptist/wesleyan tradition (Wesley's notes, Clarke's theology, some writings of DL Moody). In fact, the best deals are on the main bundle collections. But honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest since you've dismissed every suggestion so far by saying it's too expensive. Books are not free. Virtually all of the resources Accordance offers are cheaper than buying the print equivalents, and I find the digital versions to be much more useful, but you will have to spend money to get them.

Btw, Accordance offers a discount for students, which might help you.

#30 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

It can be a bit hard to suggest something to me because You might not guess what denominations I like, what I already have and so fort. No-one has suggested all that much yet so no wonder. I've tried to use the search myself but it seems hard to use - usually there comes many pages of search results and it's hard to see whether the resource is in Accordance. I've tried searching through Google too and that's sometimes better.

But I don't think it would be a great idea if I would start listing all my theological preferences and my library. What I can say is that I read a lot of critical theology (not all schools though), that I'm not at all interested in philosophy, but I am interested in psychology.

I have the end-of-19th century translation (Schaff, Roberts) of the Church Fathers both as Protestant Edition and as Catholic Edition. Does Accordance have recent translations? Recent ones would probably be expensive though so ... Perhaps if Accordance has a really good version of the Apostolic Fathers (my current software doesn't have)?

I have practically all the Bible versions I want to have, but I don't have NETS (my current software doesn't even offer it - I suspect that's because of theological reasons), Biblia Hebraica Quinta, Göttingen Septuagint Sirach, and the Bible in the local language over here.

I don't think the Tyndale commentary is that good. Sometimes I buy more commentary volumes and rarely whole sets, but I'm quite fastidious. I don't want Baptist nor Wesleyan resources - I have a few but little use for them - they are just for contrasting.

I'm not going to buy a whole lot when entering college. And the books I will buy are unlikely to be in Accordance:

If you're interested in theology, you might enjoy the writings of the church fathers or the bible study collection which includes lots of bible translations, a selection of bible dictionaries, the excellent Tyndale commentary, and several resources from a baptist/wesleyan tradition (Wesley's notes, Clarke's theology, some writings of DL Moody). In fact, the best deals are on the main bundle collections. But honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest since you've dismissed every suggestion so far by saying it's too expensive. Books are not free. Virtually all of the resources Accordance offers are cheaper than buying the print equivalents, and I find the digital versions to be much more useful, but you will have to spend money to get them.

#31 Randy Cue

Randy Cue

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Teaching adult Sunday School, baseball

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Unix, I recognize your user name from another company's forum. I would suggest you do two things:

1. download the trial version of Accordance, and

2. look at the "Store" on the main Accordance site to see what volumes they have for your particular theological bent.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• Julie Falling likes this

#32 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

My machine is a bit slow Windows so preferably not. I'll check a few books towards the end of next week. Right now I have a lot of schoolwork - two tests next week (Science).

1. download the trial version of Accordance, and

2. look at the "Store" on the main Accordance site to see what volumes they have for your particular theological bent.

#33 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

If you use a Windows machine, you can only get Accordance (at this point) using an emulator anyway. Are you not on a Mac? Accordance runs best on a Mac, though they have a Windows released scheduled for (some time in) 2013.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#34 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

No, I haven't had a Mac since half my life. I'm not in any hurry to use UBS Handbooks:

If you use a Windows machine, you can only get Accordance (at this point) using an emulator anyway. Are you not on a Mac? Accordance runs best on a Mac, though they have a Windows released scheduled for (some time in) 2013.

#35 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

I don't think I'm being avaricious. I will study but not get a student discount. I'm not a pastor nor studying to become one so I will not get that discount either.

#36 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

yesterday I returned 241 of the books in my current software. But I bought Göttingen. Celebrating International Septuagint day (which was yesterday).

Edited by Unix, 24 February 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#37 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Well I'm still waiting for opinions on what I should do, what I should add and such.

#38 bkMitchell

bkMitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

... I will study but not get a student discount...

Well, if you haven't tried already check this Accordance Product out:

http://www.accordanc...ls/?pid=DISC-S1

"Full-time students are invited to apply for a discount. We just need to know the school you attend and the course of study."

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

#39 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

{deleted}

Edited by Unix, 24 February 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#40 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

There are a variety of threads where people have suggested their favorite modules, such as herehere, and here. We've made several good suggestions already that you've dismissed, so it might be easier to get specific recommendations if you clarified what you are looking for. Or you can browse through the store and ask about specific things you find interesting. Or you can call the sales team and discuss your needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users