#41 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I have taken a denomination test, the results are at: http://bildplats.se/image/view/4043 ... now in reality I'm not close to JW of course. The RCC came up high probably because I believe in Purgatory in Afterlife.
Perhaps: Eerdmans Companion to the Bible, The $30
... Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.co...s companion fee

And I noticed LSJ (that I mentioned) has come out now and it's a few $ cheaper than in my current software: Liddell & Scott Complete 9th Edition (no supplement)
It would be interesting to see whether Accordance has any worthwhile psychology and counseling titles

And: http://www.accordanc...?showtopic=6761

There are a variety of threads where people have suggested their favorite modules, such as herehere, and here. We've made several good suggestions already that you've dismissed, so it might be easier to get specific recommendations if you clarified what you are looking for. Or you can browse through the store and ask about specific things you find interesting. Or you can call the sales team and discuss your needs.

#42 bkMitchell

bkMitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm not studying full-time right now, only 75%.

If, you do not try, the answer is of course "no". But, if you try you have at least a 50/50 chance, right?

Edited by bkMitchell, 10 February 2013 - 06:33 PM.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

#43 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'll call Accordance today and see whether they have psychology.

I'm not that keen on buying a Gk NT, as I expect there to come newer Editions (newer than NA28) that incorporate the Greener-collection, so I'm going to wait.

I haven't got BDAG. I don't want it because I want the next Edition of it instead. One advantage of having two softwares, would be that I could buy the next Edition in whichever software where it is going to be cheaper; on the other hand I would preferably have it in my current software. I'm patient so I can wait for the next Edition and meanwhile I think I'll just about manage with what I have.

It wouldn't be much of a problem to have LSJ in Accordance instead of my current software, as I would use it in a secular uni for classical Gk studies and not Bible studies. Later on, many years from now, I would perhaps need to use it for the Septuagint. Would I do fine without the 1996 supplement?

Having both the Revised English Bible and the NETS in both softwares would be OK, that's not a huge cost, adds value and I'm happy to support them.

What do You think about Eerdmans Companion to the Bible, is it among the best? It's 25% cheaper in Accordance than in my current software.

I tried to look for my favourite Bible dictionary, which is from 1985 but only my current installation has it, not Accordance.

A more relevant question is: what is the chance that I study some of the next times I would need to update the Accordance software?:

If, you do not try, the answer is of course "no". But, if you try you have at least a 50/50 chance, right?

#44 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,863 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'm not that keen on buying a Gk NT, as I expect there to come newer Editions (newer than NA28) that incorporate the Greener-collection, so I'm going to wait.

The texts held in the Green Collection may not make it into the apparatus of the Nestle-Aland for years to come, and may not make a meaningful difference in any variants and therefore not be mentioned regardless. I don't think this is a valid reason to wait on a purchase if you will need to use the GNT.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#45 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

That's what I expect:

the Green Collection may not make it into the apparatus of the Nestle-Aland for years to come

#46 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Rick, congrats on 1,000 posts!

• Rick Bennett likes this

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#47 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Do You think all of this is a good idea or not?

#48 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,732 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery
    Yosemite 10.10.1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Hi Unix (I do love the handle)

We love Accordance. I use it because I think it is a wonderful tool, and I work (a little) for Accordance because I think it is a wonderful tool. I don't need the money they pay. I could earn a lot more in other ways over here.

I think it is an unparalleled Biblical text research tool with a growing library of non text resources.

I am a fanboy, there's no doubt, and at the risk of being censured by other fanboys (and girls) I would say, if you are looking to buy Accordance for only the UBS handbooks it doesn't seem sensible to invest in a second software platform. 

Just out of interest you say:

I tried to look for my favourite Bible dictionary, which is from 1985 but only my current installation has it, not Accordance.

which dictionary is that?

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#49 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

Harper's Bible Dictionary from 1985. I was wondering if there is any Bible dictionary that is a bit more advanced and presupposes a bit of Gk knowledge? I.e. not AYBD. I find it very hard to find any Bible dictionary that is worth the money. I don't know whether I would find NIBD any good, I haven't seen it - I might go to a library and have a look at it on Friday:

Just out of interest you say:

which dictionary is that?

Edited by Unix, 13 February 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#50 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,732 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery
    Yosemite 10.10.1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hi Unix,

it may be over the top for what you are after, but the IVP essentials are excellent, of serious scholarship level. Assume a little Greek and Hebrew, but not too much (in the more scholarly volumes) and are a great price! 

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#51 bkMitchell

bkMitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hello, UNIX if you're into NT textual criticism, then  the CNTTS apparatus may also be worth a look.

http://www.accordanc...CNTTS Apparatus

http://www.accordanc...icles/cntts.php

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

#52 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

That's such a mixed collection, so it's not worth the money:

it may be over the top for what you are after, but the IVP essentials are excellent, of serious scholarship level.

#53 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

I have arguments against it in: http://www.accordanc...ic=9408&p=42648:

it may be over the top for what you are after, but the IVP essentials are excellent, of serious scholarship level.

Thanks bkMitchell for hinting about CNTTS.

I still want opinions about the books and sets I've mentioned in this thread, such as UBS! Regarding dictionaries, I'm looking for a cheaper one than IVP Essentials.

#54 Randy Cue

Randy Cue

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Teaching adult Sunday School, baseball

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I have arguments against it in: http://www.accordanc...ic=9408&p=42648:

Thanks bkMitchell for hinting about CNTTS.

I still want opinions about the books and sets I've mentioned in this thread, such as UBS! Regarding dictionaries, I'm looking for a cheaper one than IVP Essentials.

For dictionaries, you might consider the ISBE. The cost in Accordance is $49.99.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

21.5 inch iMac (mid 2010)

OSX Yosemite 10.10

#55 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

OLD!

For dictionaries, you might consider the ISBE. The cost in Accordance is $49.99.

#56 Randy Cue

Randy Cue

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Teaching adult Sunday School, baseball

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

OLD!

So are commentaries by John Calvin, John Gill, and Matthew Henry. That doesn't render them useless or even out of date.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Edited by Randy Cue, 16 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

21.5 inch iMac (mid 2010)

OSX Yosemite 10.10

#57 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I would be glad if I get more opinions on the UBS Handbook - whether it's a good purchase, and which dictionary to add?

In addition to that: what lexicon should I add?

#58 JonathanHuber

JonathanHuber

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Bible study, Greek

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

The Eerdmans dictionary that comes with the starter set is good. I haven't used the UBS handbook and couldn't comment on them. What lexicons do you have and what do you want them for? For definitions, semantic ranges, and examples of usage, BDAG is the standard Greek lexicon and a great resource. For word studies of Greek words, the NIDNTT is great. I'll let others discuss Hebrew lexicons.

2012 non-retina Macbook Pro

OS 10.9.5 Mavericks

#59 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

That's a bit irrelevant as I have those in a different software.
I have planned to wait until the next Edition of BDAG comes out (that'll be approximately in 2021 if the new Edition comes with the same frequency as they historically have):

What lexicons do you have [...]? For definitions, semantic ranges, and examples of usage, BDAG is the standard Greek lexicon and a great resource.

#60 Unix

Unix

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Would this suffice: Louw & Nida Semantic Domain Lexicon? I have it in the other software, but was thinking of getting it in Accordance too:

In addition to that: what lexicon should I add?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users