Photo

Is there such a thing as software loyalty?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Bret Hicks

Bret Hicks

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

And to reiterate, I think Accordance is a wonderful program, and I truly appreciate the hard work the folks have put into making this program so powerful and easy to use.  

I have actually used all three of the major programs, and they each have their strengths.  I still have BibleWorks installed in Parallels on my MacBook, but I only rarely fire it up to use some resource I already own there but do not have in Accordance. On the whole, given the complexity inherent in the power the programs possess, it is hard enough to learn all the things you can do with any one of them - much less to keep switching between them all.

It is great to have these tools available today.  What a gift to those of us wanting to study, apply, and teach God's Word!

In Christ,

Bret

• Randy Cue likes this

#22 Donovan R. Palmer

Donovan R. Palmer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

This is an interesting discussion. I think one of the advantages of software loyalty is having all of your resources in one place. A while ago, I made the decision that I was going to buy all of my non-biblical resources in the Kindle format. While I could also buy resources in iBooks, as I like their app design better, it makes a big difference to have all of my resources in one place.

I completely agree. I look forward to the day when I can get everything on one platform!  :lol:

#23 twbeining

twbeining

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study, iMac, MacBook Pro, & iPad Mini

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I completely agree. I look forward to the day when I can get everything on one platform!  :lol:

This is exactly how I feel. I look forward to the day when I use nothing but Accordance. Just not quite here yet.

Tim

#24 ukfraser

ukfraser

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

This really got me thinking. I prefer AmiPro as a word processor and have used it since the early 90's but have eventually had to give it up a couple of years ago because the world uses Word. I have used HymnQuest every week since 2008 to prepare services and can't see any reason to move away as there is nothing that comes close to it! I had an old version of Zondervan and upgraded to Pradis which I regret as its not as good so am looking forward to accordance on windows so I use one product and its interface is better (though I still prefer the verse selection and NIV headings in Pradis). I haven't upgraded to accordance 10 as there is no need to for me (unlike moving from 8 to 9) and I only upgrade HymnQuest when I have a new music book which I need in the database. I haven't upgraded from snow leopard and tend to upgrade windows only when I get a new version of PhotoShop which requires it, though I now use Lightroom more so am unlikely to upgrade PhotoShop in the future. My version of Sibelius 3 had to be upgraded to 7 when I needed to start converting them to PDF on my MBP as I was using it more than on windows but there is a lot of unrest in the user community since AVID took it over and people will change if there is a viable alternative.

So in summary, I think that software reaches a level where it meets most of my needs and I stop on that version until I have to upgrade because of the OS or a required feature in the new version. I tend to research a lot before with parting with my cash (it took a year to get accordance) so I tend to stay with my decision. But I will change if there is something better, either feature or usability. And I will also change to something worse if it means I can work more easily with others.

Edited by ukfraser, 01 March 2013 - 12:55 PM.

• luoar likes this
Fraser Sims
iOS 7, mountain lion, win 7 and win XP.
Other life enhancing software I use includes forScore with AirTurn page turner, HymnQuest, Lightroom and Sibelius.

#25 Donovan R. Palmer

Donovan R. Palmer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

This really got me thinking. I prefer AmiPro as a word processor and have used it since the early 90's but have eventually had to give it up a couple of years ago because the world uses Word. 

Oh yes, I so remember Amipro and Smartsuite. Great word processor, but I was forced onto the MS Word path for the same reason!  Though it seems now on word processing formats that the interoperability has improved.  

#26 Michael Eppley

Michael Eppley

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

I have used all open source and closed source apps that I know of, and decided to stick to two, one for the library and Accordance for the function. Accordance is the best, apart from I would like three things two are already mentioned; export customization, and daily study customization but I started to use an iphone app from a ministry that does a supper amazing job at this. The one thing that seems obvious to me but not to everyone else is a search right click. bringing a drop down box to how it searches.

This is like clicking in the highlight window and having it find everything highlighted a certain way, now you have to , yes I can't search detailed this way but I want a search that is easy and very intuitive.

#27 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I don't know whether you are referring to Accordance or you your other mobile app, but Accordance will allow you to right-click (Ctrl-click) in the search entry box and select a variety of search commands and symbols.

I have used all open source and closed source apps that I know of, and decided to stick to two, one for the library and Accordance for the function. Accordance is the best, apart from I would like three things two are already mentioned; export customization, and daily study customization but I started to use an iphone app from a ministry that does a supper amazing job at this. The one thing that seems obvious to me but not to everyone else is a search right click. bringing a drop down box to how it searches.

This is like clicking in the highlight window and having it find everything highlighted a certain way, now you have to , yes I can't search detailed this way but I want a search that is easy and very intuitive.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#28 Michael Eppley

Michael Eppley

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

I love competition as I think it keeps everyone going forward whether it be the Church(synergistic Competition) or products. That being said I tend to buy the best for my needs. I like windows 8, but buy and will continue to use Apples as my main computer. Its just easier to maintain one infrastructure. For all those mac fanatics who think that Apples are the only thing, they are good but not heavenly! Preach the Gospel not the mans creation, it will fail.

Accordance is the bomb, why it just works, but I use logos for the free book of the month, they tend to be just like books on the Kindle or..... I read those by themselves not in conjunction with everything else. 

Believe it or not I also prefer BOOKS on paper with good bindings, and would love it if publishers would offer discounts for buying the digital and printed version. The Best of both worlds.

#29 Niko

Niko

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

I have Accordance and the L-company software. I use both, mainly for studying the original languages. I just read books. Normally they are things that help my studying such as, bibles, translations, lexicons, grammars.

My original language study consists mainly of reading, I rarely search anything. I have found Accordance to be faster. Also some things in Accordance are designed in my opinion better, like when I use a hebrew dictionary I can specify whether I want to search a hebrew or aramaic or english word. In order to search I do not have to change my keyboard or type some sort of "h" in the beginning for Accordance to turn the radicals in to hebrew characters. I have not found L to be so simple for example in this case, but I am not a long time user of these programs, so maybe I have not found the right way to do it.

Some things like reading Peshitta I would like to do in Accordance but without lexicon I am forced to use L, they also provide two grammars for syriac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users