• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 D. C. Foster

D. C. Foster

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Arabic, Middle Eastern Christianity, The Coptic Church.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Another vote for the NOAB... it was the first Bible I ever bought myself so I'm kind of attached to it! Thanks again for the accordance team to listening to all our suggestions (and replying to!). 

#22 Gordon

Gordon

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Dan,

I believe that the version being offered by WS is the New Augmented NOAB NRSV THIRD EDITION not the 4th.

‏ כִּ֤י לֶ֣קַח ט֭וֹב נָתַ֣תִּי לָכֶ֑ם תּֽ֝וֹרָתִ֗י אַֽל־תַּעֲזֹֽבוּ׃

#23 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

For this revision of the Third Edition of The New Oxford Annotated Bible, we have reworked the introductions to the books of the Bible so that they are more uniform in contents and style, and have similarly adjusted the introductions to the larger sections. We have also added new illustrations and charts, and have updated the bibliography of Translations of Ancient Texts.

As always, we are grateful to our colleagues whose contributions have largely been responsible for the continuing success of this annotated Bible, and also to the superb editorial and production staff at Oxford University Press, especially Donald Kraus, Executive Editor in the Bible Department, and his assistant, Elisabeth Nelson.

M.D.C., M.Z.B., C.A.N., P.P.

August, 2006

The New Oxford Annotated Bible: With the Apocryphal and Deuterocanonical Books.

You are most certainly correct, I have always been lead to believe 3rd augmented and 4th were virtually identical but I could be very wrong there too... I was only sure that it was different from my 3rd edition leather Bible.

http://unsettledchri...nnotated-bible/

Shows you some changes, many simply cosmetic but the notes were in some cases reworked so fourth edition is  significantly different in places but I left to wonder why WS released the older version when the 4th had been out many years.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis, 01 June 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#24 Gordon

Gordon

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Dan,

Maybe it was just cheaper for them to purchase rights to the 3rd edition than the 4th edition.

#25 jeremyduncan

jeremyduncan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Has anyone purchased the kindle version? How do the annotations appear?

#26 Gordon

Gordon

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

I have it on my kindle on my IPAD and PC.  It's appearance is like that of a pdf file.  The page is exactly like the printed text.  No hyperlinks though.

#27 Dan Francis

Dan Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

http://s74248.gridse...ogs/detail/456/

This is a good explanation of the history of the NOAB with a glaring absence of information on the 1991 Expanded edition. Information here added below.

The Editors’ Preface

The recent publication of the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible makes it opportune not only to adjust the annotations to the wording of the new version, but also to introduce many other changes and improvements as well. Besides the preface to the New Revised Standard Version entitled “To the Reader,” the reader will find two introductory articles, one on the number and sequence of the books of the Bible, and the other on how to make the fullest use of the present annotated edition. These were drawn up by Bruce Metzger. 

All of the general articles, as well as the introductions to and annotations on the several books of the Bible and of the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical books, have been reviewed, either by the original contributor or, in most instances, by another scholar. In some cases relatively few changes were called for; in others, where many advances have occurred since the publication of the original Oxford Annotated Bible in 1962 (for example, in the realm of the archaeology of Bible lands), an entirely new article has been prepared. 

In the following list of contributors the name of the original writer is followed by the name of the reviewer; when the reviewer was also the original writer, the name occurs only once. It is understood that the editors have also introduced a certain number of modifications throughout.

Edited by Dan Francis, 01 June 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#28 clankford

clankford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Triathlon, Family, Study/Preaching

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

I know this is primarily a discussion of NOAB, but I would like to chime in supporting a more robust provision of A.W. Tozer's works. I especially love 'Knowledge of the Holy,' and would prize having it in electronic format.

#29 Ken Simpson

Ken Simpson

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,348 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Surgeon

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:18 AM

Do you have any idea what the copyright status of this work is?

Regards
Ken
Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users