#1 Martin Shields

Martin Shields

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:56 PM

At some point I'd like to get a copy of the Inscriptions module, but it would be nice if, to go with this, there were some images of the originals from which the Accordance module was created. It would be particularly nice if it were possible to see enough detail in the images so as to check the module, because there are invariably some educated guesses made in transcribing, particularly near edges and breaks. The images would then allow me to decide how certain any particular reading is.

Are any images available, or is there any way they could be made available?

#2 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:23 AM

At some point I'd like to get a copy of the Inscriptions module, but it would be nice if, to go with this, there were some images of the originals from which the Accordance module was created. It would be particularly nice if it were possible to see enough detail in the images so as to check the module, because there are invariably some educated guesses made in transcribing, particularly near edges and breaks. The images would then allow me to decide how certain any particular reading is.

Are any images available, or is there any way they could be made available?

I can tell you from working with the inscriptions for years that getting the rights to publish images is a very uncertain proposition.

It's my understanding that the InscriptiFact project can't even publish all the Hebrew inscriptions for which they have images for legal and political reasons, but at least there's a place to start.

In print, Johannes Renz and Wolfgang Röllig's Handbuch der althebraischen inschriften, vol. 3 has line drawings of the inscriptions covered in that collection (pretty comprehensive through 1995, when it was published). Try Eisenbrauns (though they don't currently appear to have stock of Teil 3).

I typeset Hebrew Inscriptions (Yale University Press, 2005), which was edited by four Princeton Seminary professors and contains many epigraphic and paleographic comments (e.g., letter-forms, reconstructions, breaks, erasures, etc.). This might be your best bet in English short of having actual photographs or drawings, which tend to be (as you probably know) widely scattered in the literature, when they are even available.

Hope that helps!

Edited by jpkang, 01 August 2006 - 12:24 AM.

J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#3 AlejandroBotta

AlejandroBotta

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew Bible - Jewish Studies

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

Shalom MiYerushalayim!

Please also check:

Handbook of Ancient Hebrew Inscriptions
From the Period of the First Commonwealth and the Beginning of the Second Commonwealth (Hebrew, Philistine, Edomite, Moabite, Ammonite, and the Bileam Inscriptions)
2nd edition
Encyclopaedia Miqra'it Library - EML 21
by Shmuel Ahituv

I can tell you from working with the inscriptions for years that getting the rights to publish images is a very uncertain proposition.

It's my understanding that the InscriptiFact project can't even publish all the Hebrew inscriptions for which they have images for legal and political reasons, but at least there's a place to start.

In print, Johannes Renz and Wolfgang Röllig's Handbuch der althebraischen inschriften, vol. 3 has line drawings of the inscriptions covered in that collection (pretty comprehensive through 1995, when it was published). Try Eisenbrauns (though they don't currently appear to have stock of Teil 3).

I typeset Hebrew Inscriptions (Yale University Press, 2005), which was edited by four Princeton Seminary professors and contains many epigraphic and paleographic comments (e.g., letter-forms, reconstructions, breaks, erasures, etc.). This might be your best bet in English short of having actual photographs or drawings, which tend to be (as you probably know) widely scattered in the literature, when they are even available.

Hope that helps!

Alejandro F. Botta, Ph.D. 745 Commonwealth Ave., Box 371
Assistant Professor of Hebrew Bible Boston, MA 02215-1401
Boston University School of Theology http://www.bu.edu/st...taff/botta.html

Tel. 617-353-3063
Fax 617-353-3061

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users