#1 Bob Kuo

Bob Kuo

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm thinking of picking up the diagramming module for the New Testament (http://www.accordanc...d=GNT-T.diagram) since they are on sale today and just announced that they now cover both James and 1 John which I am currently studying.

A few questions about the module:

1. Can I hover my mouse over the diagrams and get instant detail information like the syntax module?  I'm pretty rusty on the diagramming and it would be nice to get instant detail information for what each line or symbol means.  Also, cross-highlighting is just cool.
  2. Are ambiguous sentences diagrammed in multiple ways?

To anyone using these modules already - do you find them helpful?

Thanks,

Bob 

#2 fmcfee

fmcfee

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Bible Study...I am an active member of KI (Chuck Missler ) and seek to understand and apply the Bible to my life...I bought Accordance to help with my original language studies..I would like to be able to understand what the writers meant to say (I realize there are multiple meanings in the same verses)..not just depend on a translation...

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm thinking of picking up the diagramming module for the New Testament (http://www.accordanc...d=GNT-T.diagram) since they are on sale today and just announced that they now cover both James and 1 John which I am currently studying.

A few questions about the module:

1. Can I hover my mouse over the diagrams and get instant detail information like the syntax module?  I'm pretty rusty on the diagramming and it would be nice to get instant detail information for what each line or symbol means.  Also, cross-highlighting is just cool.
  2. Are ambiguous sentences diagrammed in multiple ways?

To anyone using these modules already - do you find them helpful?

Thanks,

Bob 

Bob,

I agree with you about more "mouse-over" support and "help..like a detailed explanation of the symbols" for this module..I brought up some of these points in an earlier post (see "help with NT diagrams" March 14, 2012)  and several people replied that helped me some...with that said...I do like these diagrams as they give me another tool to help me understand the grammer...I spent several hours yesterday analyzing Heb 6:4-6 using the diagram module...I am still working on understanding these diagrams....I could not find an on-line document that gives specific information about the various diagram symbols Accordance uses...but I did find a useful document called "grammatical terms and diagraming symbols"    hhttp://www.german-latin-english.com/diagrams.htm    for some reason this web address does not take you to the site...add "/diagrams.htm"

I can't answer number 2 because I don't have the "training" needed....but I am sure others can address both of these points better than I can..

Frank

Edited by fmcfee, 05 April 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#3 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Bob, 

To answer your second question, No, the diagrams do not show structural ambiguity.

#4 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Bob,

Traditionally, diagramming a sentence (paragraph, etc.) has been a visual way of expressing the results of working through a passage and making exegetical decisions. When confronted by multiple choices (=ambiguity), the exegete is forced to decide which meaning the passage seeks to convey. That decision is reflected in the way s/he diagrams.

Using someone else's diagrams means seeing their exegetical choices.

For my part, I am pleased we have the diagrams we do, but wish we offered other diagrams as well, particularly where there are legitimate choices to be made about what a passage means [or which meaning(s) of several possible are intended].

Until we do [if we do], I suggest using the current diagrams along with a technical commentary or translator's handbook.The latter lets us know the range of possible translations and meanings—and where ambiguity exists.

Just one further note: don't be too quick to eliminate all but a single possibility. Ancient literature, just like modern writing, often intends puns and other plays on words. I can think of several biblical passages where multiple meanings are intended.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users