Arabic Right-to-Left verse reference doubly reversed copy paste problem

Tim_the_other_one

Hi,

I use the Arabic van Dyke bible text module. When I copy a verse and paste it into Mellel, or for that matter, any word/text processor) the verse reference is doubly reversed : chapters and verses are confused, and the tens/ones within each chapter/verse is confused

Thus:

Genesis 23:18 becomes (once I do copy paste from Arabic)

التكوين ٣٢:٨١ لإِبْرَاهِيمَ مُلْكًا لَدَى عُيُونِ بَنِي حِثَّ، بَيْنَ جَمِيعِ ٱلدَّاخِلِينَ بَابَ مَدِينَتِهِ.

.And you can see from this that the reference has now become Genesis 81:32

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Tim

I suspect a few things are afoot here. First, let's check some settings. In your Accordance preferences, do you have your export set to Unicode? If not, you should. If you don't have the Syriac Institute fonts, you can download them free. The Syriac fonts encompass Arabic.

Here's how you want to set up things:

Hi James,

thanks for your suggestions.

I have the most recent update for Acc 9 (not 10, yet!). I have export set to unicode, and I have the Syriac fonts, but I think the problem is different.

I am a novice in this matter, but I notice that even in word processors like Mellel, if you type a number verse reference: ab:cd (where each letter stands for a digit) the colon behaves as a standard arabic digit and insists on left-to-right behaviour in the midst of a right-to-left sentence. But if you put a space after the colon as in ab: cd, the reference is formatted correctly. This is standard Arabic sentence practice.

So of the double reversing that this post refers to, half is at least explained by normal practice, and can be solved by Accordance adding a space (or suitable breaking character) after the colon.

However, the other half of the problem remains: the reversing of digits within the verse, or within the chapter. I wonder whether the staff at Accordance need some help with how Arabic language formats numbers (ie left-to-right, even though their sentence is right-to-left). It is different behaviour to Hebrew in this regard.

And I just noticed another problem: when I try to copy as a citation, the book name reverts to English, despite the contrary setting.

I suspect this is an Accordance bug, but not willing yet to insist on it!

Tim

Yes, we have checked and seen this bug. We'll do our best to address it in an upcoming vertsion of 10, but you will need to upgrade to enjoy the fix and many other new features and improvements.

• 1 year later...

Yes, we have checked and seen this bug. We'll do our best to address it in an upcoming vertsion of 10, but you will need to upgrade to enjoy the fix and many other new features and improvements.

Now using 10.4.3.2, but the above-discussed two problems remain

1) copy / paste gives a doubly-reversed reference

2) copy as citation mistakenly uses the English book name even though the Arabic book name is displayed.

Helen, could you please check to see if this is still on the 'to fix' list?

Thank you

tim