Universal

Freddie L

Hi, I attended the training in Michigan and I was there during the preview of version 7. I thought I was told that version 7 would be universal. I upgraded to version 7 and was surprised to see that it was not universal. Is a universal update on its way?

Hi, I attended the training in Michigan and I was there during the preview of version 7. I thought I was told that version 7 would be universal. I upgraded to version 7 and was surprised to see that it was not universal. Is a universal update on its way?

Though there are plans to convert Accordance to a Universal Binary, no official timeframe has been set. As detailed in many other threads, we do not expect the speed increase to be significant enough to warrant an urgent shift. We do realize, however, the importance of supporting the new hardware natively. Thus, it is definitely in the pipeline, but there cannot be any promises made. I am sorry if somehow you got the impression that version 7 would be Universal, but that was never intentionally stated. Trust me, when Accordance becomes Universal, it will be well publicized.

Freddie,

I'm quite sure I didn't promise that version 7 would be Universal Binary, but I do apologize if I wasn't sufficiently clear. Our plan has always been to release version 7 first, and then focus on going Universal. We didn't want to delay the release of much asked for feature enhancements for the sake of a modest speed bump on Intel Macs, particularly when Accordance runs quite well under Rosetta. Please be patient with us, and I apologize again for the confusion.

Don't muddle the issue. Getting Accordance to be native on Intel is not unimportant. While true, the speed of Accordance won't be significant for most tasks, running a Rosetta application is a huge RAM memory hog and slows down the system incredibly.

I have a new 20" iMac Intel duo with the minimum 512 meg of memory and having Word and Accordance open means that I get the spinning beach ball of death constantly when navigating the system, switching between apps, etc. Maxing the RAM will help this when I can do it.

But, I now NEVER have Accordance open, or Word open, unless I'm specifically using them, and then I quit them right after. They (along with Quicken), are the only non-Intel apps I run.

Joe's right to highlight the RAM issue using Intel-based Macs, this has been well documented elsewhere.

For users who buy a "base" system and don't upgrade their RAM, using apps with Rosetta will see a definite slow-down and the Highly Undesirable SBBOD. Nobody wants to be shutting down apps in order to free up RAM just to use Accordance for a few minutes.

Having said this, I think David/OakTree has done the right thing with the focus on version 7 first. I think we can all safely assume that OakTree is neither Microsoft, Adobe nor Apple, and has limited staff, limited resources and limited finances. Plus they are under constant bombardment of complaints, requests, bug-fixes, new modules, updated modules, etc etc etc. Plus they are maintaining backwards compatibility to System 7, running under a Mac emulator on Windows, and so on.

Universal binaries will come eventually. I'm happy with that, and personally I think we'll see it within the next 12 months.

• 3 months later...

Any timeframe on this, yet?

Don't muddle the issue. Getting Accordance to be native on Intel is not unimportant. While true, the speed of Accordance won't be significant for most tasks, running a Rosetta application is a huge RAM memory hog and slows down the system incredibly.

I have a new 20" iMac Intel duo with the minimum 512 meg of memory and having Word and Accordance open means that I get the spinning beach ball of death constantly when navigating the system, switching between apps, etc. Maxing the RAM will help this when I can do it.

But, I now NEVER have Accordance open, or Word open, unless I'm specifically using them, and then I quit them right after. They (along with Quicken), are the only non-Intel apps I run.

With all due respect Joe, with only 512mb of RAM, it won't matter if both Accordance and Word are universal binaries, 512 is simply not enough RAM to run today's OS's. I too want universal support for my macbook, but notice nearly no difference now that I've upgraded the RAM in my laptop. Let's be patient, the guys at Accordance are pretty savvy and know better than we do changes that are coming with other releases like 10.5 that carry the possibility of shutting Accordance down altogether. Would I like universal binary? Yes, but I am happy to wait.

Right you are, from one specific point of view. However, if I recall this thread, the point I was making was that it is a false argument to run a search within Accordance on an Intel Mac under Rosetta and say "There's basically no speed loss". The very fact that Accordance has Rosetta running takes a toll on the machine.

• 2 months later...

Im assuming that universal binary for Accordance has not been released as of yet. I made the decision to purchase Accordance this morning pending if it was universal yet. I havent found anywhere stating it is. Ill hold out until so. I signed up for an account at Accordance so Im assuming an email will be sent out as soon as it is. Im patient. I've been waiting for 2 years for Logos to come out which Im assuming will be universal when it does so. I can wait a little for Accordance as well. :)

We are working on Universal Binary version, no release date yet, sorry! For $39 what can it hurt to try the current version?

I agree with Helen. Why wait? There really isn't a good reason. I have a friend who runs Accordance on his Intel Mac and it is still faster than on my 2 year old Powerbook (which is still fast).

Peace,

Jeremy

Buying the version now, would that mean that when a universal binary version came out, that would be free or would the user have to purchase it as an upgrade?

$39? I wasnt even looking at that starter package. Do I understand correctly that if I buy the starter package then Scholar's 7 Core Bundle which is regularly $249 I can then get it for $210? :huh:

Do I understand correctly that if I buy the starter package then Scholar's 7 Core Bundle which is regularly $249 for $210? :huh:

Yes, I believe that is correct. At least I *think* that is what I did. That way you can get a good feel for the application before investing more. It really is a good deal...

Jeremy

Yes, I believe that is correct. At least I *think* that is what I did. That way you can get a good feel for the application before investing more. It really is a good deal...

Jeremy

Wow ok, if thats the case then I will try it out.

• 2 weeks later...
when a universal binary version came out, that would be free or would the user have to purchase it as an upgrade?

Im still wondering about the question above here. Anyone know?

We do not have a definitive answer yet, but I think it will probably be included in version 8 which will be available to current users for a similiar price to the version 7 upgrade (which is $29 to users of version 6). We do not have an expected release date, this is proving to be a lot of work.

• 4 weeks later...

RAM is the ticket. I just ram-slammed my 1.83 MacBook from 512MB to 1.25GB and all the sluggish is gone! It was actually preventing me from enjoying Accordance on my laptop - on my G4 mini it still runs like lightning, which is one of the main reasons I bought Accordance in the first place. But now, with this much RAM, it is totally awesome . . . again! :D

• 1 month later...
RAM is the ticket. I just ram-slammed my 1.83 MacBook from 512MB to 1.25GB and all the sluggish is gone! It was actually preventing me from enjoying Accordance on my laptop - on my G4 mini it still runs like lightning, which is one of the main reasons I bought Accordance in the first place. But now, with this much RAM, it is totally awesome . . . again! :D

Jason has a great point here. It is also worth noting, however, that I found it to be a great help to check out the "Activity Monitor" application to see how many of my apps were running as native Intel and how many were PowerPC. I found that a surprising number of my apps were still PowerPC, but when I looked I found that there were many updates available to Universal binaries. Upgrading as many of these applications to universal as possible really helped speed up my new Intel based MacBook.

RAM is key. Max it out.

Jason, I hope you know what you are doing with your MacBook memory. Unlike the MacBook pro, the video card shares the system memory and takes a HUGE performance hit when the RAM cards are not in equal parallel (2 x 512km, 2 x 1gb).

This will show up with any intensive screen drawing applications (including games, not an issue for most of us).

Little know is that you can even put 3 gigs in a MacBook, and it does improve many system benchmarks, but is significantly less in drawing applicaitons.

Little know is that you can even put 3 gigs in a MacBook, and it does improve many system benchmarks, but is significantly less in drawing applicaitons.

That only is if you have a Core 2 Duo MacBook and not a Core Duo MacBook. But honestly in a MacBook your spot on about the graphics piece. With the Intel GMA 950 integrated chip in those it is not a graphics system.

Archived