CNTTS search

thegoodfight

Hi. This question may have a simple solution but it is alluding me. I am wanting to search a particular manuscript (A02) in a particular book (Revelation) for readings that do not line up with the base text. I'm sure there is a way to do this. Any thoughts?

It's a powerful too. But, alas, I think has some limitations.

You want to find every reference where A02 appears on a line where the Variation Code is NOT 0 (which is the base text).

What you're wanting to do is something like:

CNTTS| Reference: Revelation
AND | Manuscripts: A02
NOT | Variation Code: 0

But, that won't fly. The reason is that the 'scope' of a search is an entire variation reference. All the booleans apply within a Rev 1:1 -0, or within Rev 1:1 -4, then 1:1 -10. You can see this phenomenon by running the search:

CNTTS| Reference: Revelation
AND | Manuscripts: A02
AND | Variation Code: 0

You will see that it is finding hits where the 0 (base text) symbol and the mention of Alexandrinus are not on the same line. Bummer.

I do not know a way to change the scope and restrict the AND/NOT search to within a single line.

What Joel says below:

Edited by Joe Weaks

The search actually works if you limit the range using the Table of Contents, rather than a search:

Note, to add a range to a tool search, Option-click on the article (or sub article) in the Tool Browser. In this case, I option-clicked on 'Rev'. Remove the range with a Shift-Option-click.

Also note, my scope is set to Paragraph, not article. Set this in the Magnifying Glass menu on the left side of the main search entry. This is important, cause I want to find everywhere the A02 line does not have a '0' variation code. If its set to Article, its finding every A02 where the entire verse doesn't have a '0' variation code, which of course doesn't occur (as every verse starts with the initial variant).

Excellent!

I did not know Scope Search Options were buried inside the magnifying glass in Tools like that.

That does not bode well.

I did not know Scope Search Options were buried inside the magnifying glass in Tools like that.

That does not bode well.

Hey Joe,

W hat do you mean by "that does not bode well"?

If I forgot (or didn't know) that's where they were since the redesign, how many more does that describe?

Joe, don't feel bad, I discover new things about Accordance every week—and I am supposed to be one of the "experts"! ;-)

When I build a podcast, I often find myself consulting our Accordance Help, and our programmers, text developers, and others to check information. Not only do I verify information and terms, but I regularly discover new information in the process.

We've discussed this internally and estimate that the average user accesses about 10% of Accordance's features regularly—and it isn't even the same 10% as other users! Accordance is a rich and mature program. As we have added features over the years, it has become as powerful in its area as MS Word in its. As with MS Word, mastering it is an ongoing process that is largely dependent upon the work we are doing with it at any given time.

While you are definitely one of our "power users," I know your primary responsibility is in another area(s). My advice? Watch the podcasts. Periodically review the Accordance Help. Definitely read the forum posts. Even then, prepare to be surprised from time to time! :rolleyes:

Just wait until you see what's coming in 10.2!

Tim,

You absolutely right. Even those of us "power users" have tons we don't know or don't use. So many features we never discover.

The one thing to keep in mind in this case, though, was two users went looking for how to limit the scope of the search and didn't find it.

Good point, Joe!

Maybe I should do a podcast on "Clicking all those odd buttons."

It's kind of like just clicking things at random, with and without modifier keys, looking for hidden "Easter eggs."

Would you believe I found a feature within the last six months Joel didn't even know about?!? Wish I could remember now what it was... :(

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Joe, don't feel bad, I discover new things about Accordance every week—and I am supposed to be one of the "experts"! ;-)

We've discussed this internally and estimate that the average user accesses about 10% of Accordance's features regularly—and it isn't even the same 10% as other users! Accordance is a rich and mature program. As we have added features over the years, it has become as powerful in its area as MS Word in its. As with MS Word, mastering it is an ongoing process that is largely dependent upon the work we are doing with it at any given time...

Dr. J

The MS Word is apt. It is probably true for any complex, mature application. People use the aspects of the tool useful to each. The challenge is to expand the horizon, since there can be nifty features that would help one branch into other fruitful work or at least do what we usually do, only better.

It is an encouragement that even pros like you and Joe (and gasp, Joel) do not know everything.

Blessings!