Relationship of NA and GNT modules and upgrades

Λύχνις Δαν

Matthew : Curiously Hull is on my Amazon wish list - so at some point it made the short list. Perhaps I'll get a copy once I'm done with Parker. Downloaded Juxta - interesting. It doesn't contain and probably won't contain all the features of the online web service as that's where the development focus is according to the website, but its more than I need certainly.

JT : I assume you are using XML as the format for your own data and annotations. It could and sometimes is the form of the etext also. I wonder about all these formats that we use and all the annotations that we make to them on our way to producing another text of one kind or another. A kind of pluggable format seems appealing. One etext is some adequately capable format (perhaps TEI - yet to look into it enough, EPUB ? not sure yet - we lose in translation here too alas) with hooks that would allow customisation of plugged in/attached data. One could for example imagine a publisher providing an etext that would be the same in Accordance and in Logos and what have you, but to which would be added proprietary tagging elements if required to support specific applications. I could see such a thing for this purpose to. But without understanding Text. Crit. properly I'm not getting much beyond that yet. Anyhow fun to think about.

Thx

D

Check this post on the Evangelical Textual Criticism blog. Also, a publication of L. M. McDonald (Formation of the Bible: The Story of the Church's Canon) also indicated 2013 as the expected publication date of UBS5. So, who knows? We know it is in the works at least!

At a conference last fall, I heard several scholars and publishers state that UBS-5 was coming out this year. However, for the original purposes of this thread (a base text for the GNT Syntax module), I expect that the text of UBS-5 will be identical to that of NA-28, just as UBS-4 and NA-27 were essentially identical.

Hi Matthew,

True, but then the text of NA28 is not much different than that of NA27/UBS4. It's the updated apparatus of both NA28/UBS5 that is different and the big draw for purchasing, and that of UBS5 being far more comprehensive for the 1000 or so variants it covers vs. the 10,000 or so variants included in the Nestle editions.