From lectern to pulpit

Alistair

Can anyone suggest useful books, tools and modules for someone moving from a teaching ministry to a preaching vocation (i.e. from teaching Bible college to pastoring a church)?

Please include suggestions for non-Accordance modules and paper-based resources if you think you can get away with it! :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

In a week I transition from ministering as Director of Worship at a Christian college to Pastor at a church in the area. So I've been looking for resources about starting a new ministry, at a new church, etc. Here are the three books I've ordered and plan to read:

• A New Beginning for Pastors and Congregations: Building an Excellent Match Upon Your Shared Strengths, by Kennon L. Callahan (Jossey-Bass, 1999)
  • The First 100 Days: A Pastor's Guide, by T. Scott Daniels (Beacon Hill Press, 2011)
  • Welcome, Pastor! Building a Productive Pastor-Congregation Relationship in 40 Days, by Fred Oaks (Faithwalk Publishing, 2005)

These don't address the "from lectern" part of your question so much as the "to pulpit" part. The little I've skimmed online from each of the three books looks promising.

Henri Nouwen's In the Name of Jesus remains perhaps the best book I've read for shaping my own pastoral ministry.

As for things in Accordance, there have been a few posts recently about lectionary resources--have you seen those/would you be using a lectionary?

Edited by AbramKJ

Can I put in a plug for Nouwen as well? He is not from my tradition, but his overall approach is challenging and pertinent.

Luke 7-1-10.pages.zipThe items I am going to recommend are not directly lectionary related but are good sets that will be fairly pertinent to solid applications and wonderful quotations for preaching. Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture (Complete 29-volume Set) (this set is is perhaps not for everyone but it is a set that gives you wonderful passages from the early church writings, including Origen, Jerome, Augustine). Barclay's New Daily Study Bible - New Testament (This commentary gives you a wonderful treatment of the NT, including Barclays fresh translation, insightful comments and illustrations). Word Biblical Commentary: 58-Volume Set (a whole lot of great scholarship that should easily translate to your sermons, it is moderate evangelical) and not yet available but NEW INTERPRETER'S BIBLE will be coming to Accordance soon and has lots of lectionary related comments, it is without a doubt my favourite commentary).

-Dan

PS: I have attached the 4 items i mentioned treatment of Luke 7:1-10 in a pages document so you can get a feel for the items to decide if any of them might be helpful.

Edited by DWFrancis

Dan--I didn't see the attachment? (Good suggestions, though.) I'm getting more and more curious about the ACCS, and considering it.

• Like 1

Proper 4.pages.zipFeasting on the Word Coming to Accordance available in Wordsearch.

The Lectionary Commentary: Theological Exegesis for Sunday's Texts (3 vols.) available on Logos

Lectionary Reflections, Jane Williams (3 vols.) available on Logos
Twelve Months of Sundays: Reflections on Bible Readings, N. T. Wright (3 vols.) available on Logos
-Dan
Here is a pages file containing the Luke 7:1-10 or Proper 4 year C. FOW has commentary on all lections including the psalm, TLC volume on the Psalms is not in Logos but is available in Kindle .
Edited by DWFrancis

Dan--I didn't see the attachment? (Good suggestions, though.) I'm getting more and more curious about the ACCS, and considering it.

My Bad… I uploaded the files but failed to click the ad to post.

-Dan

PS: Here are the two files in PDF form.PDFs.zip

Edited by DWFrancis

Alstair,

I did each for about a decade and there is a difference, though both [hopefully!] are grounded in the same text.

Teaching in the academy in the US tends to be content-oriented, rather than transformational. Professors usually leave the application to individual students, believing that they are now capable of integrating their learning with their personal faith. [They are probably not doing so, the reason many Christian colleges are now stressing that the integration of faith and learning as a course objective.].

Preaching is all about transformation, the more specific the call the better. In fact, I have told students I see the Bible study as a "shotgun approach" to spiritual growth, while the sermon is more "like a bullet." Both are aimed at targets, but the former is wider and broader, while the latter is more specific and penetrates deeper.

I recommend acquiring a good applicational commentary, like the NIV-AC, or a devotional commentary, like Matthew Henry (Sorry, I can't think of anything any newer). Both are good models of moving from text, to principles, to specific application.

Enjoy your new position!

• Like 1

I recommend acquiring a good applicational commentary, like the NIV-AC, or a devotional commentary, like Matthew Henry (Sorry, I can't think of anything any newer). Both are good models of moving from text, to principles, to specific application.

I did take a look at the NIV AC once all in all I did not care for it, HOLMAN OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARIES (32 VOLUMES) (It covers the full Bible (Protestant of course), has applications and teaching outlines. Devotional commentary only covering the NT of course I still prefer the New Daily Study Bible. Holman Luke 7.pdf

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I already have the Holman and Word commentaries and Matthew Henry, while the ACCS does not appeal. I might look at Barclay and the NIV-AC. Some of the (paper) books mentioned by Abram and Ken have been ordered.

Thanks!

Nouwen is fantastic. I'd also suggest Eugene Peterson's book The Pastor.