complete "paths" indicating location

Harry Hoffner

There have been earlier threads on this Forum about the desirability of showing the page boundaries in licensed modules of published books like ABD or the IVP dictionaries. I fully understand the reasons given in reply by the OakTree personnel. I also understand that it is acceptable procedure in referring to such electronic sources to cite the section or paragraph title. But I wish that in the small pane at bottom right of the window, which shows such a title, the complete path (or hierarchy) be included, not just the final (or lowest) rung in the ladder. For example, in the IVP NBD article "Messiah", there are two sections: I. Old Testament and II. New Testament. When a found item occurs in subsection b. "Acts" of II., the pane only shows "b. Acts", without indicating that this "b." is only locatable, if the person citing this location first indicates "II. In the NT".

Now I also know that one can scroll back and see if b. is I. b. or II. b. or III. b, etc., but sometimes the backward scrolling is long and complex. Is there no way Accordance can simplify this for us by giving the complete path? Or even an abbreviated one such as "Messiah II. b." The titles of each of the subordinate hierarchical stages may not need to be given.

There may be good reasons for not doing this, and if so, fine. But it is a convenience I for one would appreciate: a further improvement to a very good product.

Professor Hoffner,

This isn't exactly what you're requesting, but it sure beats scrolling backward. You can get the complete hierarchy for any location in an Accordance tool by opening the browser, then OPTION-clicking the down-arrow next to the highlighted top-level section of the browser.

Hope this helps.

This recommendation would also be extremely useful in the journal articles as well. A lot of time is wasted trying to find the title of the article after a search has been completed.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Professor Hoffner,

This isn't exactly what you're requesting, but it sure beats scrolling backward. You can get the complete hierarchy for any location in an Accordance tool by opening the browser, then OPTION-clicking the down-arrow next to the highlighted top-level section of the browser.

Hope this helps.

It helped quite a bit! Thanks very much.

Archived