What is LXX2 ?

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I've been looking at "MT-LXX and LXX1 add-on" and it mentions including LXX2 "It iincludes the tagged Rahlfs’ LXX1 & 2, Brenton translation (LXX-B), and MT-LXX parallel database." (ref: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=MT-LXX+add-on) but I cannot really determine what LXX2 is. There is almost no mention of it on the website that I can find. I do see one thing under the "LXX Rahlfs' Tagged Text (LXX1 & 2) with Apparatus" though that reference suggests its connected with the apparatus in some way.

Can anyone clarify for me what LXX2 is ?

Summer sales, impending birthdays, LXX : its a perfect storm :)

BTW, the typo of "ii" in my first quote above is on the site itself. Just mention that so it can be corrected sometime.

Thx

D

For a few parts of the OT, such as in Daniel, there are two different versions found in septuagintal texts. One version is included in LXX1, and the alternate versions are contained in LXX2.

From the Read-Me Modules Tool:

Parallel LXX Text

The following books (or portions of books) have more than one version in the LXX:

1. Joshua
2. Judges
3. Tobit
4. Daniel (including Suzanna and Bel).

In order to easily display these books in parallel in Accordance, a separate text module named LXX2 is used. This module is treated as if it were a separate text, so that the equivalent texts in both the LXX1 and LXX2 module can be searched separately, but displayed in parallel (such as the two translations of the book of Daniel). Both texts can also be searched together in the Search All window, or in the Text Group feature, or by use of the [LINK xxx] command. Both text modules must be added to Accordance in order to have access to both modules.

Thanx Jonathan, Lorinda. That's what I needed.

Thx

D

The differences are less significant in Joshua (where only two divergent passages are printed separately) than in Judges, Daniel, and Tobit.

Also, there is a separate apparatus module that corresponds with the LXX2 texts.

Hi Matthew,

This is going to sound like an inane question but I'll ask anyway. I presume there is no apparatus for the others because there is no divergent text for those books. That seems odd to me. Is it really so that the majority of the LXX exists in only a single version ? Or is it just that Accordance offers no other collections ?

Its probably silly of me to ask such a question before having really done any work in the area, but ....

Thx

D

Hi Daniel,

The textual criticism of the LXX isn't one of my strongest areas, but I'll take a stab at it. ;)

Together, the LXX1, LXX2, LXX1 Apparatus, and LXX2 Apparatus modules comprise the complete text and apparatus of Septuaginta, the edition of the LXX originally edited by Alfred Rahlfs and revised by Robert Hanhart in 2006. This is the standard manual edition used by scholars. Most of the text and apparatus of the edition are found in the LXX1 and LXX1 Apparatus modules. Although the apparatus of Septuaginta is much less extensive than that of the Nestle-Aland editions of the New Testament, the format is essentially the same: readings that differ from those given in the text are listed, along with the manuscript witnesses that contain them.

However, Rahlfs determined that in some books, the manuscript witnesses were so different from one another that they represented different recensions, or editions, of those books rather than variants of a single textual tradition. For example, in the book of Judges, Rahlfs found that one recension was represented by Codex Vaticanus (and some other manuscripts), and another recension was represented by Codex Alexandrinus (and some other manuscripts). Rather than choose between them, he printed the two recensions alongside one another. Each was accompanied by an apparatus that showed the variants between the manuscripts of that recension. The text and apparatus of these additional recensions is included in Accordance as LXX2 and LXX2 Apparatus.

Once it is complete, the Gottingen Septuagint should supercede the Septuaginta, as its apparatus is much more extensive and thorough. It has been released gradually, book by book; some of these volumes are available in Accordance.

Does that answer your question? If not, let me know and we'll try again!

• Like 1

Hi Matthew,

This is going to sound like an inane question but I'll ask anyway. I presume there is no apparatus for the others because there is no divergent text for those books. That seems odd to me. Is it really so that the majority of the LXX exists in only a single version ? Or is it just that Accordance offers no other collections ?

Its probably silly of me to ask such a question before having really done any work in the area, but ....

Thx

D

Daniel:

The LXX1 and LXX2 Modules both have corresponding Critical Apparatus. To even say the "LXX" singular, raises all sort of potential problems in LXX studies—hence, there is not one version. The editio minor of Rahlfs is a quick reference, but not for scholarly use. The scholarly edition of the LXX is the editio Maior, Göttingen Septuaginta.

Thanx JT - that helps a lot.

Thx
D

Sorry Matthew, I missed your response . Yes that helps a lot also. Basic orientation in material is the key thing at the start.

Simply knowing what things exist and what they are called, approximately what they are for give me enough to begin.

Many thx

D

Happy to help! For general introductions to the LXX, I might recommend R. Timothy McLay's The Use of the Septuagint in New Testament Research (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003) and Natalio Fernandez Marcos' The Septuagint in Context: Introduction to the Greek Version of the Bible (Leiden: Brill, 2000). The latter is more advanced, but also more thorough. The earlier surveys by Sidney Jellicoe and Henry Swete also retain some value, although they probably should be used in conjunction with more recent scholarship.

For discussions of the LXX that focus on textual criticism, there are relevant sections in Emanuel Tov's Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2011), which is now in its third edition.

• Like 1

I read the paper by Tov on the Septuagint which is pointed to by one of the Acc. product pages quickly the other day - very interesting. I'll check out these texts above.

Many thanx again.

D