Expand/collapse triangles are spotty?

Abram K-J

I hesitate to bring this up since it might be just me (and there is no consistent and predictable series of steps that leads to this result, even though I've tried), but my expand/collapse triangles in various tools (IVP NT dictionaries and DSS Studies, e.g.) are sometimes responsive, sometimes not.

I might try to expand a triangle (is there a technical name for those?) in the Table of Contents menu and nothing happens--then I just close the module and re-open, and the same expansion does work.

10.2.1 on Mac 10.8.4, MacBook late 2008 model. I don't recall having this issue before 10.2.

Anyone else having an issue here?

Yep. I've seen this time to time, but too random to reproduce.

• Like 1

Any modules in particular? Just with 10.2 or before?

It's possible it happened 10.2 and I didn't notice it, though I think I would have.

I don't remember when I first started noticing it, but it's fairly recent. It happens with random modules, and not always the same triangle in the same module! Usually, closing and opening the table of contents seems to fix it.

One thing I notice is that once the collapse/expand doesn't work once, it doesn't work at all for that module unless/until I close and re-open.

I try IVP NT Dictionary--Jesus and the Gospels. Click on Baptism triangle to expand, down to last level. All is well. Then click on O to expand, click on Old Testament in the Gospels, and nothing. Close and re-open, and that same "Old Testament in the Gospels" entry expands just fine.

Can anyone else replicate this? With any predictability?

Ok - I can get it to happen and stop happening, without reopening, in Webster's dictionary. I could not get it to happen in Wallace's grammar.

I don't have a pattern yet. More slightly mindless clicking to be done. It comes and goes it seems.

This is 10.2.1 Mac but I thought something similar had been reported recently on the Windows beta forum but I cannot find the post, so perhaps I am mistaken.

Here's something to think about that I noticed that might give you a start.

I noticed that an item will get stuck either expanded or not. Then I'll scroll using single finger mouse gesture, up or down just a bit. Then it will expand/shrink ok. Initially I thought it was the scrolling itself that was significant but perhaps its not. It actually looks like the code can't see the triangle is present at certain locations and moving it a bit sorts that out. You're not going to believe this but it looks like it happens at the same vertical point in the screen. If I have a triangle that is not working and don't move the mouse and merely scroll so another triangle comes to that point it also won't expand/shrink. Move it a bit and it can expand/shrink. Most odd. This is on a 27" iMac on 10.8.3.

OK the above is perhaps close but not enough. I noticed something else. Do you have the tool open in a second tab adjacent to a text where you have note marker ? Again this correlation is not perfect, but it seems that if I have a triangle in the tool aligned with the dot in the text I cannot expand/shrink. Alas scrolling up or down away from that dot, in the tool, is not exactly consistent in reenabling the expand/shrink. It does do it, more often if I scroll up than down, but its unclear how far you have to go.

Abram, please take all the above with a Costco sized bag of salt. Its still not consistent enough for my liking.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 1

Very interesting observations. "No" to your second question.

Will try your first insight. Hope this might get clarified even more so as to warrant a fix in the next update.

I have just noticed this as well. Upon launching Accordance (10.2.1), I can immediately drill down in an open commentary to where I want to be by expanding the triangles, but it seems that after being in Accordance for a while, I am not able to navigate using the triangles in the browser.

Could it be a bug?
Edited by Brent Lawrence

New theory. Related to the old one but a bit different.

When you cannot expand/shrink a triangled (is that correct usage ? is it intelligible ?) you will notice that at the top of the content section of the pane that the topmost entry is partially obstructed by the top border of the pane. When the topmost entry is fully visible things are good.

I've tried this with multiple tools now, including Wallace, and it repros. every time. I've also resized the window and it still works this way.

Could one of you guys double check my theory ?

Thx

D

• Like 1

Daniel,

I just checked your theory and you are onto something. When any entry in the browser is partially obscured at the top of the browser the triangles will not respond to either expand or collapse their sub-content. I guess the workaround for the moment is not to have any browser content partially obscured. Nice find.

• Like 1

Thanx Brent. Looks like we have a test case then. Cool.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I can replicate this.

Accordance staff, do we officially have ourselves a bug?

Joel or Rick, can you replicate this?

The same thing has been happening to me, so I'm really glad to find out I'm not alone. Also, thanks for the work-around - I hadn't figured out how to do this at all, so that's great for now.

It would be nice if a member of Accordance staff could acknowledge this thread so that we know it's being addressed.

Thanks

Nick

I think this keeps getting buried under all the Windows 5 Beta posts!

Thanks for the reports, and I can confirm this issue. We'll get it fixed for 10.2.2.

• Like 1