logic of the INTER item in a construct search

Ken Simpson

Hi,

I am having a technical blindness day I think, but the INTER item in the construct search doesn't seem to be working properly, or at least the way I expect it to....

I open my GNT-T text and press "CMD-2" for new greek construct.

I add the lex form of Ιησους to one column and Χριστος to the second.

I add the constraint "Within 2-5 words" and I get 8 hits.

Cool - all looks good, but I want to get only those without a verb intervening. So I drag INTER across, and add the VERB item with no subitems. Then I drag NOT onto INTER, and I get 2 results. Gal 2:16 and Phil 1:1.

So far so good.

So I thought, OK, let's "unNOT" it, so I dragged the NOT item again onto the INTER and the strikethrough disappeared and I was left with this

post-29509-0-33981000-1375235509_thumb.png

I have circled the fact that there are 6 examples of verbs intervening between Ιησους and Χριστος

However, when I run the search, it returns no results!

post-29509-0-10307700-1375235515_thumb.jpg

Now the logic (as I understand it) says that it should find both those with a verb intervening somewhere, and those that do not have a verb intervening. From the help "A positive INTER item specifies which words can intervene between connected elements, though these words need not necessarily be present." But it's not finding anything.

How have I got the logic incorrect here? Can anyone help?

Thanks

OK, so I saw a previous post by Ken Han, Joel and Ruben Gomez here which suggest that INTER overrides the WITHIN command and forces the terms to be adjacent (if present). Is this correct? Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me...

A positive INTER means that only those items can appear, but don't have to, so you are saying that there must be no intervening words except for verbs.

It really makes no sense to say the verb can be there or not, that is true with or without the INTER.

Thanks Helen, that description helps. I think I get it now (at least for today!) :-)

Edited by Ken Simpson