Randy Steffens Jr

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

When I run this search in Accordance [COUNT 7], and manually set the range to Revelation (by clicking on the plus sign), I get a list of all the words in Revelation that appear 7 times.  

However when I run this search  [COUNT 7] <AND> [RANGE Revelation] I do not get all the words that occur 7 times in Revelation.  I get several words who's number of occurrences range from 1 to 7 according to Analysis.  Also, Analysis shows that the [RANGE] part of my query has 0 results.  

Am I using the [RANGE] command wrong?  Why do these two searches not yield matching results?

Thanks!

Randy

#2 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,884 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

We've covered this a few times in the past (perhaps needs a dedicated help topic!) but let my briefly explain the difference in the [RANGE] command and the Range popup menu.

Technically, they have one specific difference:  The Range popup menu limits the search, while the [RANGE] command limits the displayed results.  Now, this may seem like a technical distinction, it allows for different searches.  Consider:

1) What are all of the words used once throughout Revelation?  Answer:  [COUNT 1] with Range popup set to Revelation.

2) What are all of the hapax legomenon (the words used once ever) (the words used once ever) in Revelation?  Answer:  [COUNT 1] AND [RANGE Revelation]

You could even combine them.  Such as:

3) List all of the words used once in Luke's writings that occur in the first chapter of Acts?  [COUNT 1] AND [RANGE Acts 1] with Range popup set to Luke, Acts.

This distinction also matters when using the different Analytics.  If you run a search for [VERB] AND [RANGE Matthew] you'll notice that your Hits Graph still consists of the entire corpus.  Thats because the *results* were limited, not the search.  To limit the search, and thus the range displayed in the Hits Graph, use the Range popup menu.

Final thought: Remember that the Range popup is available via the '+' button as a Search Condition.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#3 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

Joel beat me to it with a more comprehensive answer so nothing to add but

its mentioned in the help here : file:///Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Accordance%20Help/Default.htm#topics/06_braa/count.htm?Highlight=count%20and%20range.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#4 Randy Steffens Jr

Randy Steffens Jr

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

I see!  That's a fantastic feature.  Thanks for explaining it to me.  

Sorry to have asked something that's already been covered here... I did a quick search and didn't  see anything right off, but I'll be sure to check a little harder next time!  :)

Thanks so much!

Blessings,

Randy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users