Finding Conditionals with Missing Apodosis Clauses

Mick Matousek

I'm researching third class conditionals without an apodosis. Construct search ideas ?

Hi Mick,

I presume there is an implied apodosis, in the cases you are after. And example would help if you have one so that I can see what one might look like.

In any case I would start with and lex (εαν) followed by ANY (subj) within say 4. That at least found me 261 hits in GNT28T, with the first being one of Wallace's examples of a true 3rd class conditional, Matt 4:9. Then refine from there. Perhaps you've got this far and thus its the no apodosis bit that's hard. Again an example of what you want would help.

Thx

D

- To reply: Your first sentence presumption is a part of my research.

- An example of a missing apodosis is, well, missing (....).

- I am surprised you quoted a grammar book to provide basis for a 'true' 3rd class conditional. Wouldn't one rather quote the GNT to provide a 'true' example? And, exactly what do you mean by a 'true' conditional? Do you mean genuine, authentic, generally recognized, or what?

- All the above is part of my research. While I am enthused to study further, 261 hits are a bit high for my taste. I'd like to refine the searching a bit more.

Hey Mark,

Let me try the question differently. A conditional sentence of the form "if such and such then so and so" makes perfect sense. Its clearly conditional. What exactly is one to make of "if such and such" alone ? I assumed from your question that you had seen this phenomenom in the wild (GNT, LXX etc) and wanted to find other cases. As a sentence of this form with only the first half seemed odd to me I wanted to get a flavour of what you were seeking so that it might inform the construction of the search.

Do you have verse reference where such an example appears ?

BTW, true conditional was Wallace's term not mine. I'd have to read the relevant section in detail to give whys and wherefores. BTW, Wallace does note that nearly 300 such cases exist in the NT according one reference he quotes - Boyle ? I'm not remembering properly. In any case if that's true you'll have a bunch to look over anyway.

Thx

D

Also check out http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6935 if you have the syntax module.

Thx

D

Not meanin to be too pedantic, oh wait, yes I am. κÏᾶÏÎ¹Ï Is a real word in Classical Greek, just not in our current koiné corpus. If we extend to

More classical texts at any stage this will need to be accounted for.

κÏᾶÏÎ¹Ï ÎµÏÏ, ἡ (Ion. κÏá¿ÏÎ¹Ï Hp.Vict.1.32): (κεÏάννÏμι):â

A.mixing, blending of things which form a compound, as wine and water, opp. mechanical mixture (defined as an Îµá¼¶Î´Î¿Ï Î¼Î¯Î¾ÎµÏÏ in which the constituents are liquids, Arist.Top.122b26, cf. Stoic.2.153; ÏεÏὶ κÏάÏεÏÏ, title of work by Alex.Aphr.): first in A., âÏὴν δεÏÏέÏαν γε κ. á¼¥ÏÏÏιν νέμÏâ Fr.55, cf. Staphyl.9, Ath.10.426b (pl.); κÏάÏÎµÎ¹Ï á¼ ÏίÏν á¼ÎºÎµÏμάÏÏν modes of compounding . . , A. Pr.482; âἡ Ïῶν á¼Î½Î±Î½ÏίÏν κ.â Pl. Lg.889c; âÏὴν Ïῶν νεÏÏÏν ÏÏÏιν á¼Î¾ á½ÏÏοῦ καὶ ÏαÏÎºá½¸Ï ÎºÏάÏεÏÏ . . ÏÏνεκεÏάÏαÏοâ Id.Ti.74d; âá¼Îº κÏάÏεÏÏ ÏÏá½¸Ï á¼Î»Î»Î·Î»Î±â Id.Tht.152d; âÏὴν á¼Ïμονίαν κ. καὶ ÏÏνθεÏιν á¼Î½Î±Î½ÏίÏν εἶναιâ Arist. de An.407b31; âÏÏÏμάÏÏν á¼ÎºÏÎ¹Î²á½´Ï Îº.â Luc.Zeux.5, cf. Arist.Col.792a4.

The above post was accidentally put in the wrong topic. It can happily be ignored or deleted.

Apologies for a misplaced post.