Is it possible to make a single character case sensitive?

Matt Fredenburg

Hi. Let us say that I wanted to find all words that started with a capital 'A' that matched the pattern "Arm*". So, such a construct would match {Arming, Armed, Armour}, but not {arming, armed, armour}.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

try this...

=?(A)rm*

In fact, that's overkill.

Try

=Arm*

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hi Ken. Thanks for your help. Here's what I've found:

(For all scenarios, the target text is IVP-Theology, the search field is set to 'English Content', the Search Option is set to 'Exact Search', and the search range is 'Paragraph')

Armin* (this is not what I ultimately want in that it doesn't require a capital 'A' but it's where I started)

returns 58 exact hits

=?(A)rm*

Gives me a dialog stating "The selected word cannot be found in the "IVP-Theology" text."

=Arm*

Gives me the same dialog.

I also tried changing the Search Option to 'Flex Search' but I got the same dialogs for the latter two.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

I believe case sensitive searching only works in texts, not tools. So, the =Armin* would work in a text, but not a tool.

Hi Joel, just to clarify:

1. Are you saying that the case-sensitive syntax kindly recommended by Ken is only available in texts, but that some other case-sensitive syntax works in tools, or that tools don't support any type of case-sensitive search whatsoever?

2. If case-sensitive search is not supported in any fashion whatsoever in tools, is this an oversight or by design, and if the latter, why?

Thanks,

Matt

To clarify, the equals sign (=) that represents an exact search is only supported in texts. Just as tools aren't grammatically tagged, I believe they aren't also indexed in such an exact/inexact fashion.

My understanding as to the reasoning (can be corrected, as this is a historical decision) is that Tools are generally more for reading than doing specific analytical studies, since they (generally) represent the derivative, later, modern literature, not the original texts. This is the same logic why the suite of Analytical tools is much more rich for texts than tools. Of course, things to change over time. We've since added some basic analytics to reference tools, and we have some future plans to keep expanding this. So, exact searches in tools should never be ruled out.