searching in range

willrid

I'm looking for two searching features which would improve my accordance study experience. I use Accordance daily over the last several years. It is never idle. I know that these feature requests can be accomplished right now by a variety of tools and methods, but I'm suggesting a more simple approach to these common tasks that I find myself repeating over and over again.

1. Often I search a particular chapter(s) "Genesis 5-8" or "Romans 8" etc. or a Greek or English word. The results of the search are displayed. However, there is no simple way to search within that results of that search without defining a range or creating a complex search command. It would be helpful to allow a quick "search within results" feature. This could be complex, I'm sure, but helpful even if the search results represent a word. Could the "search all" field could utilized for this to search all modules or "search results"? It may even already exist, as I'm constantly learning about Accordance as I use it. If that is the case, I apologize for the question in this forum.

2. I always wish that the search word that I pick in one text panel would be highlighted in companion or parallel texts. I can mouse over the "search highlighted" word and see it translated in other texts, but it would be a nice feature (turn on or off) to see the search word as it is translated or even represented in Greek or Hebrew by a highlighted result in all the parallel texts. Searching, for example "Lamech" in Gen 5 would highlight in read "Lamech" in red in five verses in all linked panels, including any linked hebrew text. Is such a thing possible?

Thank you for your on-going work on this wonderful and vital tool for the ministry!

WR

Edited by willrid

These are great requests. Regarding your first question, there is one way to search the results of a search without defining a new range, and it's relatively obscure. You can press command-A to select the contents of your first search, then select press "command-control-R" to create a new Reference List Tab. That allows you to perform a new search on your original search results.

Mark

The Reference list isn't really the answer, since it needs to be searched with the [CONTENTS] command, and WR can do the same with another tab referencing the tab with his search results. I don't think [CONTENTS search tab1] new criterion is really a long and complex search. However, searching within a window is definitely on the list of planned improvements.

Highlighting all the results in all the panes was considered and dropped as likely to slow the scrolling of the text. It would only work with tagged and key texts in any case.

These are great requests. Regarding your first question, there is one way to search the results of a search without defining a new range, and it's relatively obscure. You can press command-A to select the contents of your first search, then select press "command-control-R" to create a new Reference List Tab. That allows you to perform a new search on your original search results.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Opening a reference list tab directly from a text search results window is a cool feature I didn't know about until you mentioned it. Now I'm wondering how (or if there's a way) to do that from a word count total Analysis window. I tried cmd-ctr-R from that window but it didn't do what it did from the text search results window. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland