Simple Questions about User Notes

Clint Cozier

Hi All!

I'm a new Accordance user just starting to transition from another program. I'm used to having a "default" typeface in User Notes and changing my keyboard to toggle between hebrew, greek and english. What's the easiest (and most consistent) way to change languages when working with User Notes? Right now I'm changing fonts and toggling the typeface size accordingly, but there has to be a better (and more consistent) way.

Any estimate on when we'll be able to hyperlink to things like dictionaries and lexicons in user notes? Much easier than a massive copy / paste routine which I think is my only option at the moment.

I love Accordance...I'm really sad I didn't make the switch a few years back. What I wouldn't give to have spend all my $$$ growing a single (and more productive) library. Live and learn!

Clint Cozier

Clint — One thing that will help is setting up your preferences correctly.

In Preferences > User Notes Tabs, be sure to check the box Use default fonts in font menu. That way you won't have to wade through all the others. The ones you use frequently will be at the top.

post-330-0-72706400-1378482769_thumb.png

Then in Preferences > Edit Windows, choose the desired font for User Notes Text and User Notes Reference.

post-330-0-13704900-1378483421_thumb.png

This will greatly streamline the process. Every note will open up with those selections.

I use keyboard shortcuts to copy style only a lot ⌘[ will copy style and ⌘] will paste style.

I strongly suggest that you download and install CheatSheet (free). That That's the quick way to find new keyboard shortcuts or reminders of shortcuts. It works across all Mac applications, not just in Accordance.

If there is a keyboard shortcut for switching fonts, I don't know what it is. Maybe someone else can help us there, or at least confirm that it doesn't exist. It would certainly be handy.

Edited by Julie Falling

What I do for quick language switching is use my Mac international keyboards. You can enable these from System Preferences -> Language & Text -> Input Sources (I'm running 10.6, so your location may be a bit different). From this area you can also specify the quick keyboard command to change inputs. Once you've added your Hebrew and Greek keyboard (of whatever variety is most logical to you), just use those keyboards to type into Accordance. The size should adjust fairly appropriately as you switch back and forth.

Of course, lots of the other key combinations that Julie suggested will also be very helpful.

Joel — I am familiar with switching the keyboards, but will it let me choose Helena (instead of the built-in unicode)?

Thanks

User Notes don't currently support pure unicode, so it actually converts it to Helena/Yehudit as appropriate.

Julie and Joel,

Thanks for the help here.....you've cut down a whole lot on my time. The copy / paste style is great. I'm disappointed that the notes aren't using unicode.....are they translated into unicode when they are copied out of Accordance or is there a utility that will translate the greek and hebrew fonts to unicode? Most everything I have is in unicode right now and that feels like a giant step backwards.

Clint

Just turn on Unicode export from your Preferences -> Export, and everything will export as unicode. The only limitation you'd feel is trying to use non-original language unicode (e.g. Chinese) in your notes.

• 5 months later...

I'm having trouble formatting the display of my user notes as well. However, under Preferences > I don't have a "User Notes Tab" option as in the screen shot above. In fact I seem to be missing a few other options as well. I'm running 10.3.4 for Mac. Has the process changed to accomplish what Julie is describing above?

Yes, we cleaned up the preferences for Edit windows recently. Check the Help pages for details of the options in each preference pane.