Phrase Search confusion...

DNSinSC

Hello all. I am new here but have used accordance for a while. Though I am an I.T. admin / programer, the simple search box in accordance lately has me baffled. I have to go to google most of the time now to find the verse that I am looking for. Obviously this leaves me confused as to why I bought accordance...

So I came to the forum to seek help understanding how this actually works. I am a computer programmer and the search to me, well if I was writing the app I would consider it broken.

For example, I know this verse exists in the bible:

“And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”" (Luke 23:43 ESV)

I try the following searches:

• me in paradise = 588 results. Any verse containing me, in or paradise.
  • "me in paradise" = No results found.
  • 'me in paradise' = No results found.
  • me<AND>in<AND>paradise = 588 results. Any verse containing me, in or paradise.

By now I give up and go search on google and find Luke 23:43.

To be sure I am missing something?

Hi ya,

Your first search should have done it. Simply searching for me in paradise without quotes gives me the exact passage in Luke. But the other searches don't result in exactly what you have here either. Do you by any chance have a search range active that might be excluding some number of books, including Luke ?

I've more than once been puzzled on elements of search and found that really reading the search doc and working some simple examples helps. There are also a ton of podcasts available on the website http://www.accordancebible.com/Podcasts-Recommended. Downloading the podcasts and working along with them as they go is what I have done to clarify my understanding at various points. You'll want to get a grip on quoted versus not, exact versus not, flex search and so on.

Thx
D

I think you are searching with a Flex search. Under the magnifying glass you can switch to Exact so yu don't get the AND. You don't need quotes to find a phrase. However, with a longer phrase when you are not sure of all the word, you can preface it with the [FUZZY] command, for example:

[FUZZY 2] let this cup pass from me.

Hi Helen, both Flex and exact worked for me. Acc reports 3 hits in flex, one in exact, but it finds the passage just the same.

Thx

D

Thanks to you both. I X'ed out of every window and started fresh. Now when I search it actually finds what I am looking for. I think it saved my search settings each time it started up, therefore when something broke it stayed that way :)

I will go over some of those podcasts you posted too Daniel.

Thanks!

Edited by DNSinSC