Logos Equivalents in Accordance

Harvey

As a new user of Accordance in Windows, I am trying to figure out the following tasks, which are fairly simple to do in Logos:

1.What is the most efficient way to copy a verse to a document?

2. How can you go from a verse in search results to the same verse in its surrounding context?

3. How can you link HALOT and BDB so that if you look up an entry in one, you automatically look it up in the other?

4. Can you double-click on a word in a verse and have it automatically looked up in your default dictionary?

Thanks!

I was keen on answering these with nice, simple step by steps. Harvey, I'm certain you'll be pleased with the ease each of these are accomplished.

However, I don't know what things (menu item names, etc.) are different on the Windows version, so I will hold off for another user to answer.

Is "everything" the same, or should there be a /WindowsVersion section on the forum?

• Like 1

As a new user of Accordance in Windows, I am trying to figure out the following tasks, which are fairly simple to do in Logos:

2. How can you go from a verse in search results to the same verse in its surrounding context?

3. How can you link HALOT and BDB so that if you look up an entry in one, you automatically look it up in the other?

4. Can you double-click on a word in a verse and have it automatically looked up in your default dictionary?

Thanks!

On number 4 I think you just triple click the word.

There is a podcast by Dr. j in iTunes that gives a quick overview of Accordance for windows that may be helpful.

Joe: Everything on Windows is nearly identical to the Mac. The exceptions are the coming features (Sync, Dropbox, 3D Map, some other minor things like speech), the location of the close box, and some key command differences.

Harvey: Thanks for trying out Accordance! Let me answer each question.

Simply select what you want to copy and type Control-C, or right-click and choose one of the special Copy As options, such as Citation or No Superscripts. Then, you should be able to paste the contents anywhere you like. This is assuming that by 'document' you mean another program, like MS Word?

You actually have a few options here, see which one works best for you:

a) Drag the context slider (left of the 'Verse x of y' text) to the right to determine how much context, such as 'A' for all context.

b ) Right-click in a verse and do Look Up -> Context

c) Click in a verse and select Amplify menu -> Context

d) Click in a verse and type Control-5 (My personal favorite!)

e) Click in a verse and select the Context toolbar item, if you have placed it on your toolbar. FYI: You can customize your toolbar items with a right-click on the toolbar area.

This is done by using the [LINK] command as one of their search entries. So, open up your HALOT and BDB, then in BDB (for example), type Shift-Control-L or Search menu -> Enter Command -> Link. This will insert the LINK command and either automatically fill in your other tool, or give you a choice of which tool to enter. Now, any searches done in your source tab will update any linked tabs. FYI: There are no limits to how many tools can be open, or how they are linked.

David is right, triple-click on the word to search your default dictionary for that word. The 'default' one is defined as the first one in your library for that category. e.g. Drag HALOT to be your first Hebrew Tool, and any hebrew words that you triple click on will be searched in HALOT. Protip! Instant details can also do a dictionary lookup, just hold down control when hovering over the word to see the dictionary entry instead of normal grammatical information.

Joel, a follow up question to the #4 question.

Is there a way I can select the word and have Acc do a search for that word giving me multiple results and not just one source? I guess do a full search for that word?

Ps... I am also a newbie learning to understand Accordance.

Edited by davidmedina

If you want to search and look at multiple sources then there are are least a couple of ways of doing this.

1. You can use the "My Groups" feature where you can set up different groups of resources that you want to search. (You can add a resource to a new group then add other resources to that group - see screen shot). You can set up a your own group of favourite Greek lexicons, for instance. Then from a Greek text you can right click the word you are interested in then select "My Groups" then select that group that is your favourite lexicons.

post-30494-0-37070500-1381183602_thumb.png

2. This is my preferred. Set up a new workspace which just contains the lexicons you are interested in. Save the workspace as a favourite. Then you can amplify to that workspace from a selected word (e.g. right click a Greek word then select "My Workspaces" then select the Greek Dictionaries workspace you created.) See screen shots below

Text:

post-30494-0-35688600-1381183394_thumb.png

Dictionary Workspace displayed:

post-30494-0-04497900-1381183433_thumb.png

Any other help you need on this just ask.

Edited by Steve King

There's also a Search All function that you can Amplify to that searches everything you own. I never use it, but guess some do.

Thanks.

Hey Harvey,

I made a video that covers your last two questions. The video is embedded at the end of this blog, which you also might find interesting.

Greek and Hebrew Word Studies

My apologies for not acknowledging everyone's help; I had neglected to check "Follow this topic," so I wasn't aware of the responses. (I don't understand why "Follow this topic" isn't the default option, particularly when you start a thread.)

Joel's responses were particularly helpful. One follow-up question.

When copying and pasting into MS Word (for Windows), using Control + C and Control + V, I find that the words are pasted into my document in reverse order, unless I select "paste text only." Should I be doing something differently?

Many thanks.

Edited by Harvey

If I understand correctly what you want to do, I think you need to click right button then "Copy As" and select Reference. Then when you do control+v on Word it will paste it correctly.

The just Control+C / control+V does not seem to work well with Word as you get the formatting all weird even if you tell it to keep text only.

Hope that helps.

David, when I try what you suggested what copies seems to be the book, chapter and verse information, not the text. Am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

When I do Copy as Citation (control+command+c on a MAC) and then paste in Word (command+v) this is what I get:

“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.”

(Genesis 1:1–2 ESV)

Is that what you were looking for?

If I do the same from a regular book -Copy As a Citation) I get:

Our desire and prayer is that this new edition will, like its predecessors, enable all its users, teachers, and students of the Bible alike, to reach a fuller understanding of the Word of God and its message for us today.

“PREFACE,” NBD, 1.

The one I think it does not work for me is copy as Bibliography. I expect to copy the entire bibliographical information about the book and I simply get: “PREFACE,” NBD, 1. That doesn't mean much to me.

Edited by davidmedina

David,

I am using Windows, and I am trying to copy and paste Hebrew text. As I originally wrote, it comes out correct only when I select "paste text only" (a Windows-only feature, perhaps?); otherwise, the Hebrew comes out in reverse order (although each word is correct by itself). It would be nice not to have to go through this extra step.

Edited by Harvey

Gotcha. I haven't tried Hebrew but to be honest I would not be able to tell if it pasted right or wrong on my end. :) As they say, at this point, it's all greek to me. lol.

Maybe someone from Accordance will chime in. Try starting a new thread. It may get more attention that way.

The MAC version has the Text only too. I find that a lot of the times when I copy and paste from the web and other sources that is what I have to use to ignore bringing the format from the source or avoid conflicts with Word.

Edited by davidmedina

Hmm,

Harvey, I haven't got O4W running, but in AccWin and copying and pasting as a citation with Hebrew text I get this: (see screenshot below)

post-29509-0-51217700-1381785972_thumb.jpg

David, can you see the very bottom entry? That's Copy as Bibliography. (try it in a different part of the NBD and you should get more info.)

Harvey, the Copy as Citation should work. I wonder if it is something in Word that isn't quite set up right. Just have a look at the "Citation" panel in the Accordance Preferences. Does it look like this:

post-29509-0-04534100-1381786152_thumb.jpg

Does anyone in Windows land have any suggestions?

Thanks Ken. For some reason I expected more like a Bibliography entry with publisher, date, edition, etc.

Ken, when I use "copy as citation" and paste into a Word document, as I just did, the Hebrew words come out in reverse order. (I would offer a screenshot, if I could figure out how!)

Edited by Harvey

Ken, when I use "copy as citation" and paste into a Word document, as I just did, the Hebrew words come out in reverse order. (I would offer a screenshot, if I could figure out how!)

I can confirm that pasting text with the 'keep source formatting' option in Word for Win does not preserve the correct RTL sequence. As a workaround continue using 'keep text only'. It's been reported and is being looked into.