Root and Lemma Search in Tools

Anthony Sepulveda

I would like to request the feature of allowing Greek/Hebrew root and lemma search in the tools themselves, and not just in the biblical text. For now, in the tools we only have the option of "Select Words" for Greek/Hebrew Content (and Accordance groups them together between parentheses and commas). At times, it could be easier for the user to just tell Accordance to look for all the possible forms (lemma search) or derivations (root search) of a Greek/Hebrew word in a tool (a grammar manual or technical commentary, for example) --as it already does with a Flex Search for English Content!-- instead of having to look for each and every one of these possible forms from the list, making sure that nothing is left out (and this takes some time, more especially for Greek verbs with a strong aorist, or II-vav or III-he Hebrew verbs).

It would just be like automating that "Select Words" part, selecting all the available forms and/or derivations of the Greek/Hebrew term in question, if the user wants to. I hope this won't be a difficult challenge for our top-quality Accordance programmers!

Thanks!
--anthony

There is really no possibility of tagging the words in tools in the way that texts are tagged. Therefore this could only be accomplished by looking up a word in a separate database that included all the forms of that word, and searching for all the forms. We don't have such a database, so both the data and the programming are massive tasks. I am not sure how useful this would be in practice.