How do I search using a word in greek?

davidmedina

If I want to search an English Bible using a Word using the Greek word. Do I have to use the transliterated word or can I use the actual Greek word? How do I enter it?

Thanks

Hi David,

You would use the Strong's number. If you are in an English Strong's tagged text, such as the ESVS, you can right mouse click, search, keyword and you accomplish your search. Otherwise you need to know the Greek Strong's number and can search or amplify that way.

Go here and review the webinar on

Basic Hebrew And Greek Searching Using Key Numbers

I think you will find it helpful.

Thanks Fidel. I just watched .

I was just wondering if the actual Greek (or Hebrew) word or the transliteration of the actual word used could be entered directly instead of using the strong number. But I guess, the result is the same thing, right?

One thing I found a bit odd here is that the pop up when you use the search menu Enter Key Numbers, does not allow you to search by translit. or greek to find a key number. You can search by key number but by then you might as well just type it in. But then if you are familiar with the Greek you probably wouldn't use an English search - well unless you want to know how a particular translation handles a particular word. Hmmmm.... yep still seems a bit odd that you can't search the list on the word. Am I missing some preference somewhere ? I don't see one. Hmmm.... again I guess.

Obviously I can get the key number from ID but ....

Thx

D

Daniel- I agree that this window could be made more useful and have requested that but was told it was too much work.

Thx Jonathan. I recall the post now that I see it. I can imagine translit. entry being a bit of work if its not already done. Thinking on it a bit I don't recall a place where you can enter a translit. to search on. But entering the Greek itself is widely supported so perhaps that would be simpler, though perhaps less useful to those who don't know Greek who may constitute the larger body of users of this function.

Thx

D

That's too bad. :(

The really neat shortcut to all of this is to use the Mounce Greek and KM Hebrew Dictionaries that come with Accordance. You can amplify to them with a triple-click in a Key number text, or amplify directly to them from an original word, or search them for an original or transliterated word. Each entry then has little links to our key number texts. Clicking a link directly searches the text for the appropriate key number.