Author of individual book introductions in Eerdmans Companion

Abram K-J

This may not even be noted in the print edition, and I can't find it in the Accordance module anywhere. So maybe there's no way to get at this, but...

I'm trying to find out who has authored the introductions for the individual books of the Bible in the Eerdmans Companion--Isaiah specifically. Anyone know? I can find authors for specific articles, but not book introductions.

Commentary

Connie Gundry Tappy. Free-lance author and editor. Allison Park, Pennsylvania.

Since she is list as the only contributor to commentary I am guessing she is the author.

Dan

Thanks for checking, Helen.

Dan, I saw that, too, but I wasn't sure how realistic that was, with so many other contributors around.

From what I could see of the Amazon preview it doesn't look like the print edition has any information about Isaiah, either. If anyone does know for sure who contributed to that book, I would be happy to know.

It seems unlikely to me as well but just saying what I found... but i have more than one one author commentary: Sailhamer's NIV compact commentary.... Pocket Bible Commentary by William Neil... both of these seems to be a similar depth to Eerdman's so I would not say it is impossible. Indeed had others contributed to it an not been credited I would think they might have put up a fuss. I mean one thing is to have a ghost writer which is very common for some famous preachers but to no credit ones work accidentally seems odd, unless the authors purposely wished to remain anonymous as though as one friend told me be very suspect of work a scholar will not put their name on.

-dan

Edited by Dan Francis
  • Like 1

Dan, you are right, and further research has confirmed that she is the sole author of the commentary section. (In fact, looking at the cover more closely now does, in fact, suggest just that.)

I just thought it interesting to have so many contributors at hand but just one commentary writer, especially since I don't recognize that name in the arena of commentary writings, and she is listed as a freelance writer. This certainly doesn't mean it's not well-written. Was just a bit curious to me. The publisher elaborates here.

It seems she is related (daughter) to Robert Gundry, interestingly enough.

• Like 1

In some ways it makes a lot of sense. For the general commentary to have one writer, who will be able to not repeat the same stuff over again but easily know where to point the person for the information, thus reducing the size and while she and indeed most authors (none that I can think of) are no expert in every field all the articles can be done by experts in their field.

-Dan