What are/is the difference between Link command and the Tab Ties?

davidmedina

I can see one difference. Please tell me if I am correct?

The Link command with link Bibles but won't scroll together but it will basically allow me to search on both Bibles at the same time. Correct?

The Tab Ties allows me to scroll Bibles and tools together, like Bibles and commentaries?

Could someone share some insight as what are the differences between the Link Command and the Tab Ties? When would I use one vs the other?

Thanks,

Edited by davidmedina

You would you a link when you want a command executed in one pane to also be executed in another pane. Tab ties will not do that.

As an example if you searched for a Greek word in one lexicon (e.g. BDAG) and also wanted to search for the same word in another Greek Lexicon (e.g. Louw & Nida) then you can use the link command to set then up such that the search will be done in both lexicons at the same time. It does not tie them together so one does not move when the other does which is what happens with the Tab Tie.

So a tab tie could be used to tie a commentary with a text when they are not set up in parallel panes (i.e. across two zones or even workspaces).

Thanks.

Another helpful way of thinking about Tied Tabs is that you can only tie Texts (Bibles etc.) and Reference Tools (commentaries and such) and User Notes to each other. That is, only Tabs that are based on reference order. And, all this affects is that if one gets scrolled, the other tied tab(s) scroll with it. Each tab can have it's own different searches going on, even, (which is a benefit over against using Parallel Panes).

You can not tie lexicons, etc.

The LINK command just keeps you from having to type the same search command into each different tab.

Cool. Thanks.