4 replies to this topic

#1 nigelmu

nigelmu

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

As an avid taker of notes for years on the Mac and now on the PC - you seem to have rather shifted your approach to saving user notes in 10.3.3. 

I have always made a habit of using the 'control s' keystroke to regularly save my notes.  (With the windows version still 'developing' this has become all the more important as crashes are fairly common).  I see as of 10.3.3 that when I ctrl s - it closes the edit window. 

Can this feature be disabled or controlled in some way or is this actually a bug?

Many thanks

Nigel

• Abram K-J likes this

#2 Steve King

Steve King

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

This is a statement from the updates page for 10.3.3. 

• Command-S from a notes edit window now also closes the window, if it is displayed over a pane

See the following page http://www.accordanc...om/New-Since-10. Windows info is towards the bottom of the page.

Steve King Running Accordance 12.1.0 on:

Mac 10.11.6 (El Capitan), mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 4Gb RAM

iPad2 IOS 9

iPhone 6 IOS 10

#3 Tony Lawrence

Tony Lawrence

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Hosting Bible Land Tours, Expository Preaching, My granddaughter

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

This is a statement from the updates page for 10.3.3. 

• Command-S from a notes edit window now also closes the window, if it is displayed over a pane

See the following page http://www.accordanc...om/New-Since-10. Windows info is towards the bottom of the page.

This has been a frustrating change. I have been a Mac user since 1985 and have a habit of saving periodically as I work. This comes from previous years where software wasn't that stable and if you didn't save often you could lose your work. I can't tell you how many times since 10.3.3 that I have been typing in a note and saved only to close my window. I would like to suggest a return to the previous set up of clicking the "update" button or using Command-W. Or, at least allow us the option to disable this "feature."

• Abram K-J likes this
Tony Lawrence
biblelandphotos.org

#4 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

When I first saw this changed I was puzzled by it given the presence of Cmd/Ctrl-W which already closes the window and which still works. And yes its handy to have a periodic save which does not close the editor. But I'm also puzzled by something else. The update notes say this :

What does "if it is displayed over a pane" mean ? I have tried putting it to the side of my workspace over the desktop and it still closes on cmd-S.

So while I would prefer this change were reverted I am curious why it was done - it was clearly intentional. I also note that it was restricted to notes and not applied to tools. And no, I'm not advocating that it be applied there too, but I don't understand why those two editors are not basically identical functionally.

Thx
D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#5 Ken Han

Ken Han

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am not a fan either. From my (therefore biased) perspective, it doesn't help my workflow but impedes it. Cmd-S and then Cmd-W to save and then close a document window is a habit learned over many years of Mac use across all different kinds of apps. I can't tell how many times I accidentally closed a window I did not want to close because of my Cmd-S and Cmd-W kicking in even after Cmd-S already closed the edit window. My Cmd-S then Cmd-W ends up closing the active text / tool views, which I have to reopen.

I think Accordance is a very complex app, and it doesn't help when it does unexpected things against the normal Mac / Window conventions. I think it's just going to make the learning curve even more steeper than it already is.

• Abram K-J likes this
Rev. Ken Han

Grace Fallbrook (PCA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users