Double Entries in Instant Details

tonystinson

When working in GNT-T, when I hover over a verb, especially one that is can be either middle or passive in the text, in the instant details window, I am seeing double information:

word, parsing

word, parsing

key number

word, parsing

word, parsing

See attached screen shotpost-31829-0-95864700-1386396715_thumb.png

This seems to be recent behavior, as I don't recall seeing this until the latest upgrade.

Is this a bug, or is there something I need to change in preferences?

Tony Stinson

I see it too. I was able to reproduce the problem.

Hey – It has been like this for a while. Since, in form, either parsing might be correct, both are given. Why doesn't it just say middle-passive? I don't know. But it's not a bug. I didn't find anywhere in Preferences where this can be changed.

Since most of us do not want the program to tell us that a middle-passive should be interpreted as a middle, or as a passive, both are given. Having both parsings certainly makes it impossible to miss!

Edited by Julie Falling

Hi ya,

I thought that initially too but then I looked at Tony's image and something looked odd. It looked like there were three defs not just two. I looked it up and the ID actually shows this when complete :

καταργεῖται καταργέω (κατά, ἔργον) Verb 3 sing pres mid indic
καταργεῖται καταργέω (κατά, ἔργον) Verb 3 sing pres pass indic to leave idle, occupy, make of no effect, nullify (Predicate)

[ESVS] G2673 away

καταργεῖται καταργέω (κατά, ἔργον) Verb 3 sing pres pass indic to leave idle, occupy, make of no effect, nullify (Predicate)

[ESVS] G2673 away

Note that the passive is duplicated as is the key info.

I suspect this may be a bug. If it isn't its not clear to me why the second form and key number are duplicated.

thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Yes, I believe that it is a bug. I am in the Greek text in Accordance frequently during the week, and I just noticed this behavior after the last update.

It is normal for verbal forms that can be middle or passive, for there to be an entry for the middle and passive. But in the case show in my example, the passive parsing and the key info are listed again.

What is interesting is that this appears to only happen with verbs that can be middle or passive. Present forms, as well as infinitives, imperatives, dependents, etc don't appear fine.

Tony

I agree. 10.3.3 added the display of crasis forms, but it seems to be a bit overzealous in displaying extra information. We'll fix this asap!

Thanks, Joel.

I have been using Accordance since the early 1990's. Fantastic software that just keeps getting better and better.

Tony

I agree. 10.3.3 added the display of crasis forms, but it seems to be a bit overzealous in displaying extra information. We'll fix this asap!

I also confirmed this, but noted that in modules such as GNT-ALEX, and GNTPAP-C only one definition, the middle form, is given. The phenomenon is not restricted to uncial texts. It is also true for GNT-BYZ.

10.3.3 seems to like an odd number of definitions (though I have not found 5 or 7) ;)

All of the sudden this conversation became Greek to me. :) lol. How much I need to learn!