Exporting uncials in Greek (not coptic)

Outis

Hello,

I've been using the Uncials that Accordance offers for several years now. And I think they are great. However, one small frustration I have is that, if I export them as unicode, I have to have a unicode Coptic font to read them correctly. And yes, there are some good-looking coptic fonts out there (http://www.evertype.com/fonts/coptic/). But there are many people that don't have Coptic localizations on their computers, or even more importantly, on their web-browsers.

So this is my request: Could we have a greek set of Uncial fonts that we can export as unicode greek? I'm toying with doing a paper/project for my Master of Sacred Theology degree. And I'd like to cite some uncials. But trying to share papers (from my mac) with guys using a PC presents some problems when having a greek font that goes Coptic when exported. I do like the uncial fonts that the greek font society provide (http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces_majuscules.html.) It would be wonderful to be able to export to unicode and then make use of these fonts.

Thanks for reading my request,

I'm curious about this discussion, as well.

I have a vague memory of a discussion on the Unicode code points. I can't think of why they are in the coptic range, or even why they are using the small letter (lower case) glyphs.

These are confusing areas when using Unicode. Are you representing the large letter of the uncial, or the base letter, since there are no larger glyphs?

Are you representing the large letter of the uncial, or the base letter, since there are no larger glyphs?

Here's an example of what I can get to export (using the coptic font and not the greek font):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17495934/Uncial_Test.zip

No, Steve, sorry for the confusion. I understand how it all works and what you're seeing.

My questions were rhetorical examples of the "confusing areas when using Unicode" that the developers had to decide when implementing what Accordance does when displaying Uncial manuscripts digitally. You and I clearly see the decisions they made, and fact is there is no precedent for how they should have or should not have handled the Uncials.

Again, sorry it looked like I was asking clarification questions.

When I started working with Coptic I realized that how we are using the Sylvanus font (especially for Greek papyri) is not really accurate. However, the choice to use that font was decided upon for stylistic/aesthetic reasons (which I do personally like). Since the same font is used in both Greek and Coptic texts in Accordance I am not sure how easy it is to specify that one text should be exported in Greek and the other Coptic. I can ask internally, because technically speaking you are correct. When exporting Greek text from Accordance (whether it is using the Sylvanus font or not) it should not be exported in the Coptic codepoint range.

As far as fonts you may want to recommend others you're sharing documents with use Antinoou; it renders both Greek and Coptic very nicely.

• Like 1

Right, this was my memory on the problem. The way we displayed Greek/Hebrew/Coptic with Legacy fonts was always a kludge, and this exporting-as-Coptic-in-Unicode problem is a casualty of that.

• Like 1