CMD-S with User Notes

Tony Lawrence

I know this has been mentioned in other topics but I would like to raise it to the level of its own topic. Today I have typed most of the morning in my user notes. Whenever I type CMD-S the window closes, supposedly a "feature" in 10.3.3. I can't tell you how frustrating this has been. I kindly request that the functionality be returned to the previous manner of the window staying open when CMD-S is invoked and for one to use CMD-W to close the window. I am not sure why one would think this would be a "feature" as this is not the normal procedure in other applications either.

Now I will quietly go back to my corner...

Tony, this change was "semi-deliberate". We intend the Cmd-S to close the window only when the editing was began via typing in the pane. It seems the change also is applying when you simply Command-U to start making a new user note or doing a 'full' edit, rather than a quick edit.

I assume that you use Command-U to start your editing? If so, this should be a lot better for you in 10.3.4.

Tony, this change was "semi-deliberate". We intend the Cmd-S to close the window only when the editing was began via typing in the pane. It seems the change also is applying when you simply Command-U to start making a new user note or doing a 'full' edit, rather than a quick edit.

I assume that you use Command-U to start your editing? If so, this should be a lot better for you in 10.3.4.

I do both CMD-U and clicking in a pane to enter the Notes. CMD-S dismisses the window in both instances (at least on my Mac). One can always use CMD-W to close which is the Mac standard, or click the update button to close the window. It seems redundant for CMD-S and CMD-W to both close the window. I recommend keeping with the Mac standard. My humble opinion is that this is an Old Coke/New Coke thing. However, I elevated it to a main topic to see if others were struggling with this as much as I am.

I agree with Tony: CMD-W already closes/saves, so there is no apparent reason to make CMS-S do the same thing.

Hi Joel,

I'm don't think I agree with the idea that the way of entering edit mode should determine the way I leave it.

cmd/ctrl-S and cmd/ctrl-w are not manually more complicated or simpler than one another.

But it is more complicated to say at the outset, I will edit a single line only and then exit therefore I will hit return in this pane, or I will edit for a while so I will use cmd/ctrl-U. Perhaps complicated is the wrong word - its rather that its not necessarily correct. I'll get into my note and then realise that I have other corrections to make that I didn't think of, or that I'll want to add more than I thought.

Once one is in edit mode apart from content there are three basic operations : save, exit with save, exit with discard. One might add others like discard but stay open and so on but ... Until now the first two were clearly distinguished. I don't recall how discard works but normally some form cmd-Z works and then a cancel to throw the changes since the last save. But making the first two behave the same way just because of how I started my edit session does not make intuitive sense to me. Perhaps I am missing something.

So I support reverting the functionality but I don't know why the change was made so I don't know if there is, or was thought to be, a good reason to do it.

Thx

D

I like the old way better too. I am constantly closing notes now when that is not my intention.

I agree with the above users--would like to see a return to "the Old Coke."