Concordance Option

Wleach

If I'm searching for all verses with works <AND> law in the New Testament, only the verses containg both of the those words show up in the window--this is great. However, when I view the concordance from the details menu, instead of getting those verses that contain both words I get all the verses for each word. Is there a way for the concordance to generate a list that exactly matches the search criteria?

Last time I checked there was not a way to do this.

Thanks,

Weyland

I must be missing something--what would be different about the concordance if it "exactly matches the search criteria"? How would that differ from the search results which are effectively a concordance for complex queries?

If the issue is presentation of limited context, then it's clear that this won't work well with more than one word at a time. To use your example, an "X <AND> Y" search could match the first and last words in very long verses, in which case, a short context is simply not possible without using ellipses or other symbols to denote missing text, in which case it is no longer a useful concordance--why not use Edit > Copy As > References if you don't want the entire verse context?

If you don't like the formatting of the search results, you could export the results (select, Edit > Copy and Paste, or File > Save as Text File) and adjust them manually in a word processor or text editor.

I must be missing something--what would be different about the concordance if it "exactly matches the search .................

I don't think this suggestion is all that hard to understand. Let's make the test example easier. When a search is done for a phrase "Grace of God". The Accordance Concordance detail still presents word concordances. It is not a word search. It is a phrase search. A phrase listing should be presented. Certainly long phrases are problematic. IMO, ellipses would be proper, determined by the display threshold length set by the Concordance window preferences. There are various ways to implement the ellipsis. It is not an all or nothing solution.

Google "phrase concordance" for more examples.

Why not export a search ? Searches are limited to discrete verses. That would require going thru each verse, trimming off extra words and reformatting each line so I can get a proper phrase listing.

Archived