Can I link a keyword search from ESVS to both a Hebrew Text and the LXX at the same time?

iantguy

I've only had my copy of Accordance for a week and wonder why I didn't get it years ago. I've especially enjoyed being able to select a word in the ESVS, ask for Keyword Search and then be presented with all the instances of the word in both the ESVS and my Greek text at the same time. Amazing.

Please could someone tell me if there is any way in which I could search for a word in the OT section of the ESVS and see all the instances of the chosen word in both a Hebrew and a LXX text at the same time as in the ESVS?

Hi Ian,

there may be other ways of doing this, but the three ways I have thought of are these:

Method 1:

Open your ESVS text and do your KEY NUMBER search (lets say [KEN H7225] for the purpose of the example.

perform the search and you will get 49 verses, 51 hits. Gen 1:1, 10:10 etc.

Add a parallel text of the HMT

From the interlinear icon on the HMT pane, open the interlinear and just display the MT- LXX (available for purchase - I think it's only $20 for the interlinear) . Voila!

post-29509-0-91927600-1389908072_thumb.png

Method 2:

after opening your ESVS

Open another text pane (LXX) and another text pane (HMT-W4) and put them side by side (simply so you can see the results).

in the search bar of both the LXX and the HMT put the command [CONTENTS ESVS] (or actually whatever your ESVS pane is named. In my example, it's called ESV 3)

When both are done, then press return and the verses will display side-by-side, but without cross-highlighting, so you need to be able to read both.

post-29509-0-42303500-1389908509_thumb.png

Method 3:

you must own the full MT-LXX parallels module

Do your search in ESVS

open the MT-LXX either as a parallel

post-29509-0-46039900-1389908997_thumb.png

OR

open the MT-LXX as an independent pane, but linked through the CONTENTS command as above, and set to show articles

post-29509-0-76567900-1389909195_thumb.png

post-29509-0-07870900-1389909050_thumb.png

There's nearly always more than one way of doing things. Choose the one that fits your workflow best, and save the workspace and put it in your workspace toolbar item so you can reuse it whenever you want without all the setup...

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Thanks Ken. 3 answers in one, Much appreciated.

Ian Guy