Searching in the Hebrew

eric in redding

I have not taken Hebrew classes but I try to work in it when it is helpful to my studies. When doing a study of Moses confronting Pharaoh I tried right clicking on the hebrew word for serpent in my text (HMT-W4) wanting to find other places that tannin is used. I tried searching as lemma, inflected, and root without finding some of the verses that I was hoping to find - for example Genesis 1:21 (sea creatures). So why is it that none of these 3 searches were able to hit this form of tannin in Genesis 1:21 from right clicking on tannin in Exodus 7:10? Should I be searching differently?

Thanks to any of you Hebrew experts who can help (or Accordance experts if it is a software issue)!

Hi eric,

the basic issue is that searching for the lemma, adds the inseparable preposition lamedh to the word - so you will see in the search bar this לְ =תַּנִּין=

if you delete the over the ל= then you will find that accordance finds all the occurrences of just the lemma

Gen 1:21; Ex 7:9–10, 12; Deut 32:33; Is 27:1; 51:9; Jer 51:34; Ezek 29:3; 32:2; Psa 74:13; 91:13; 148:7; Job 7:12