I Really Need Help searching for "The Kings of Israel and Judah" in my tools

David Foster

Hi, sorry to be posting such a simple question but I've tried over and over again and have failed to be able to do this seemingly simply search... so i thought I'd ask you guys for help.

I'm trying to find a simple chart/table/listing of the kings of the Israel and Judah... and I know that in probably everyone of my study bibles (e.g. NIV Life Application, ESV, NLT etc) there is a chart or table that lists all the kings... let alone all the other tools.

At first, when I went to search for this topic (The Kings of Israel and Judah), I didn't know where to enter it into? I knew I couldn't just put it into my search bar on my text page so I found the closed phrasing I could in the study bible tool (which was king of judah).

I then right clicked and selected "Search all tools"... and up came a long list of titles/english content etc... but no where could I find a simple listing of all the kings of Israel and Judah. I found two titles... for example in the NLT Study Bible they have "For more information, see “Chronology: Israel’s Monarchy.” and in the Halley's Bible Handbook they have "THE KINGS OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH—A CHRONOLOGY".

So off I went to find these two charts/tables/listings but try as I may I couldn't find them... I opened up each tool separately and entered each title into the search box up top and clicked enter... and each time a box would pop up listing usually individual words... so they I tried changed the search term or whatever it's called?! from English content to title and no luck.

So, half an hour later here I sit with still no chart of the kings... so would someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I think the two general questions I would love to have answered in addition to the specific case above are

1) How do I simply search for a topic (not simply a word or a verse) within all of my accordance tools. Say for example I want to bring up everything accordance has on Dispensationalism or everything on the 12 disciples (for example, most study bibles have a section on "Who were the 12 disciples")?

And

2) How do I search simply within a tool I have up. For example I had up my NLT text open up top an the Study Bible down below. Now the search bar is up top in the text section but there isn't one in the tool section... so how do I search for a specific topic/phrase in that tool that is open? It's sitting right in front of me, I just want to be able to type in "Chronology: Israel’s Monarchy." and click search???

Sorry for this long explanation... it's been building up for a long time!

Thanks kindly for your help

Don't worry about asking such supposedly simple questions because often they are only simple if you are already used to using it. And I think there is an art to using search all which only comes with practice (A bit like getting the right search when you use Google).

To search in all your tools use the 'Search All' Feature. This can be done either from the toolbar or from the Amplify menu or from the File menu. The Amplify menu works with text you have already selected from a text or tool whereas the other two options allow you to enter what to search for. Having entered the search criteria you can then select which texts/tools you want to select and what type of thing you are searching for.

So using the toolbar search all option you can select various options (see image)

post-30494-0-02610400-1391958225_thumb.png

Enter the search string at the red arrow. Use the drop down box to adjust what and where you are searching (blue arrow) and select information in the drop down (purple arrow).

In the drop down list you will see any groups of resources you have set up (you can do this from the library) so your drop down will be different to mine. You can select which group of resources you want to search (i.e. 'all' or 'all dictionaries' if you have a dictionaries group set up). Then you can select whether you are searching for english or images for instance. Then run your search.

My result for running a search for Kings of Israel and Judah in 'images' was as follows

post-30494-0-13807200-1391958614_thumb.png

As you can see I found a match in Zondervan Bible Backgrounds Commentary. However you might not have that. So I did a search all for everything and found your NLT Study Bible hit. What you can then do is double click the NLT Study Bible in the search all list (see image - double click on read arrow)

post-30494-0-66720300-1391959535_thumb.png

This will bring up the Study Bible in its own tab and you can search that.

The reason that you do not have a separate search area for your Study Bible is because you have it in parallel to your text. You need to have it in a separate zone or tab (i.e. do not select it using the parallel button but from the library for instance or in the case above from the search all list.)

Having got the NLT on its own you can search for 'Monarchy' under captions and find some images

Hope that helps. Any more info you need just ask.

Edited by Steve King

One additional thought: you may find more results if you search for all of the main words ("kings <AND> israel <AND> judah") rather than requiring them to appear in a certain phrase.