Book cover image quality

Abram K-J

Guntis mentioned this on one module already, though I see the thumbnail/image quality issue in a number of other modules. I can report more if that's helpful, but to take one example, in the Semeia journal cover image (attached), I can't make the print in the bottom left at all. That's not a big deal, since I can read the text in the module just fine, but it's worth noting.

post-31802-0-79996900-1392092991_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I want to revisit this--a blurry book image is present in a just-downloaded (and newly released) module. Accordance has a lot on their plate now, and I don't know if this ever got looked at... can one of you pros (maybe Joe Weaks?) tell me where to go to replace the images myself?

I do see that Show Package Contents on Accordance in a Mac gives me two folders: "Book Covers" and "Book Covers @2x." Many book images are there as .pngs. If I just replace one of them with a higher-quality image I want to use, I won't break anything, right? I didn't want to try before asking.

Also, the image in question (for Priscilla Papers, part of the recently updated TJL) doesn't appear to be in those folders, so I don't know where to replace it, but there are also some other images I want to update myself--if possible.

Can any of you power users (or someone on staff) confirm that I won't mess anything up by replacing Accordance's default .pngs with my own, to have a higher image quality for book covers?

And does anyone know where I would find/replace the Priscilla Papers image specifically? It's not where the other "Book Covers" are. Thanks.

Or will this be addressed in 11?

A little bit off Topic, but I see that all LXXG has the same cover exempt the ESDR.

Greetings

Fabian

post-32723-0-86167600-1413280050_thumb.png

Sorry Abram, I have no idea.

Those cover folders don't have anything to do with the images in the actual modules. They are all associated with the library. The "covers" are for the tiny icons in the library view and the "covers@2x" are for the "About the Text" info.

The images in the module are built into the module itself and cannot be changed except by the developer rebuilding the module with higher resolution images.

• Like 1

Graham, thank you for the clarification. And... uh... so... know any good developers? ;)

None with any kind of free time on their hands… ;)

• Like 1

Okay--I'll be sure to check back just as you all are gearing up for Accordance 12. :)

That sounds like a plan that's bound to work in your favor.

Graham--I appreciate developers have larger fish to fry than a minor thing like a single image (and this is fish which I enjoy eating, mind you).

If a module image a publisher gives Accordance is low-res and blurry (especially when clicked, popped out, and zoomed in on), I guess I don't understand its inclusion in the first place. Why not leave it out? It would still be in the library and About this Text displays, where (I presume) the resolution is less of an issue.

if you look at the features of the new 11, the icon of the work seems part of the display of the new Info Pane, meaning it is best to have a representation rather than a generic book icon.

-dan

Dan, I would think the icons you're mentioning are pulled from the same place that Graham mentions (Book Covers), and are the same ones used for the library and About the Text views, not the image in the module itself.

The image quality is not an issue with every module. Check out the WBC-OT images for the individual volumes, or the front and back cover for Sacred Bridge, the back cover of which can be zoomed nicely to read all its detail. Some Tools (Anchor Dictionary, Eerdmans Dictionary, IVP-Paul and his Letters) don't have cover images in the module at all--and I'm not suggesting they're even needed. My point is just that low-res publisher images should be improved or left out altogether--they're always the first thing I (and presumably others) click on after I open a newly downloaded tool.

Graham, I know it's not a text correction per se, but I'll go ahead and submit one for Semeia and Prisicilla Papers so it can get tracked and perhaps evaluated next time a future update rolls out for those texts. To the point of my original post, I now see this is something a user can't adjust. Thanks for the replies and consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

--a blurry book image is present in a just-downloaded (and newly released) module. Accordance has a lot on their plate now, and I don't know if this ever got looked at... can one of you pros (maybe Joe Weaks?) tell me where to go to replace the images myself?

Abram,

Sorry, I've been away from forums for a couple months. Just made a move.

The image for a module is compiled in the module. It's not the same as navigating inside bundle contents with Finder and replacing an image file. It's not really a possibility.

Being a developer myself, I know that these types of issues can seem to be niggling at the very worst. As long as the product works properly is what matters most. However, if there's something the good folks at Accordance can do to make these cover images shine like the rest of the product, it would remove a certain sense of lack of attention to detail (perceived, not necessarily real) that one gets upon opening one of these titles. First impressions, rightly or wrongly, do count for much among most of us.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1

Matt: my sentiments exactly. Well said, each word of it.

Joe: thanks for the reply, and welcome back!