Help with hebrew construct

Robb B

I am trying to build a construct to search for the phrase "Call on Yahweh" in the Hebrew OT (BHSW-4). I want the word call (qr') and Yahweh to be within 3 words of each other, with allowable intervening words that are either particles of the preposition type or the Lexical form shem (name). It seems like my INTER command is setting it up so that the intervening words are both prepositions and the noun shem, which obviously produces no instances of either of those terms in between, and every hit (almost) is Yahweh doing the calling rather than receiving the calling! Is there a way to built the construct so that the INTER command is OR rather than AND?

Screenshot of my construct:

Robb,

I tried using two separate INTER commands in the construct, which Accordance does allow, but this didn't do it. Nor did increasing the "WITHIN" command to 5 or 7 (remember that BeSHEM is two words). So in that respect, I can't be of much help.

But searching for "call on the name of the LORD" in the NRSV, I discovered that even if this aspect of the construct can be "fixed," it will still miss occurrences of the phrase you are looking for. This is because sometimes the subject of the verb will be between YHWH and QR'. (cf. Zep. 3:9--and note that KULAM counts as two words).

Also, you need to check the "search both directions" check box at the top of the construct window, as the order of the words varies. (Yeah for version 7.1!!)

Finally, if you decide that you just want to look at "call on the name of the LORD" phrases (as opposed to "call on the Lord" phrases, keep in mind that sometimes BeSHEM occurs before both YHWH and QR'. (cf. Ps 116:17)

Blessings,

Lorinda

A positive Inter allows only these specified words in this gap, and a negative Inter allows all words except the specified words.

When you define an Inter you define it like any column, so if you put both particle and shem, it will not find any words. In this case you must use two constructs with an relationship between them.

Lorinda, your suggestions were extremely helpful. Combined with Helen's tip, I think I got a fairly comprehensive search figured out. It actually took three Hebrew constructs searching both directions (indeed, thank you version 7.1!). Rather than searching with the INTER command, I used three different word orders (qr', prep, YHWH; prep, qr', YHWH; prep, YHWH, qr') and specified within 5 words. Then I used an OR to join these three constructs together, and found 139 hits in 105 verses. It even picked up the tricky ones you mentioned, Lorinda. I appreciate the tips.

Glad to be of help, Robb. It gave me an excuse to play with the Hebrew, something I haven't done in a while, even though I enjoy doing so.

Archived