Hebrew final kap with shwa

dgarrett

I'm a Bib. Heb. student, and am trying to write a paper that includes a lot of Hebrew. Would someone please help me figure out how to insert a qamets or shwa into a final kaph, "embedded" like you would a dagesh? I use Mellel and Unicode fonts, e.g. Lucida Grande.

Thanks for your time!

DG

Qamets is shift+option+j to get it into a final form. I'm having trouble finding the shewa...

I apologize, this is for the Yehudit font. I'll leave it in case others might find it helpful though...

If you use Accordance (not in Unicode to exportable to Unicode), or Mellel, it should insert the correct accent after the prior letter. MS Word does not fully support Hebrew.

I'm a Bib. Heb. student, and am trying to write a paper that includes a lot of Hebrew. Would someone please help me figure out how to insert a qamets or shwa into a final kaph, "embedded" like you would a dagesh? I use Mellel and Unicode fonts, e.g. Lucida Grande.

As Helen notes, if you need to just cite biblical forms, you can turn on the Unicode export option in the Greek & Hebrew preferences, and just paste from the BHS-W4 text into Mellel.

Lucida Grande's Hebrew vowels and pointing do not render well in OS X. I recommend the free SBL Hebrew Unicode font, which Mellel has very good contextual suport for, and renders these vowels very nicely. These are the OS X Hebrew-QWERTY layout key combinations, regardless of position relative to the consonant:

Qamets = shift-a

Shewa = option-zero

and as a bonus,

Dagesh = option-period

Note that Mellel properly renders the dagesh and qamets on the final kaph as in Num 6.25.

Thank you! SBL Hebrew works like a champ. It is the only font I could find that will create the correct final kaph. Again, thanks. DG

Archived