Downloaded files

Alistair

I wonder if the files we download from Accordance could have more descriptive titles.

For example not just

7.1osxinstall.sit

but something more descriptive, such as

Accordance 7.1 update.sit.

I have to rename the file every time.

Anyone else find the filenames unhelpful?

~A

The file names cannot include spaces since they have to pass through the internet safely. When you unstuff them, the installer has a fuller name such as 7.1 OSX Installer. I could add Accordance to it, but if I called it an updater, new users would think that it won't work without a prior version on their drive. Except for some patches to large modules, all our updaters are also installers -- they either require a prior version or a password.

I'll second adding "Accordance" to the filename of both the archive as well as the enclosed application so they are more descriptive.

This will avoid the ambiguity of being confused for an installer/updater relating to another application on one's computer with the same general version number (e.g. I'm running iTunes 7.0.3, QuickTime 7.1.3, Toast 7.1, Adobe Reader 7.0.8, etc.).

but something more descriptive, such as Accordance 7.1 update.sit.

I have to rename the file every time.

Anyone else find the filenames unhelpful?

Yes, this would be helpful to have Accordance_7.1_update.dmg as the filename.

I'll agree with adding Accordance to the filename as I always find myself giving the dmg a more descriptive name. I put my files into a Downloads folder so descriptive filenames make my life much easier.

Come on. This is easily handled. After interpreting DOS for years, this is a piece of cake.

Will

Archived