Syncing User Tools requires Accordance restart?

Abram K-J

I have a User Tool I'm syncing between two Mac computers (2008 iMac and late 2008 MacBook, both using OS 10.9.2 and Accordance 10.4). I edited the tool on the former and made sure there was a successful sync with Dropbox.

Then I went to the MacBook and pulled up Accordance (which was already open, with the User Tool already open, too). The changes didn't show. I went to sync with Dropbox, and it said nothing to sync. Still no changes showing. Then I closed the tool and re-opened--edits still didn't show. Finally I re-started Accordance and the changes did show.

So all is well and nothing was lost, but User Notes work differently when syncing. In that case Accordance tells me it has to re-load my session and does so automatically, without my having to do anything.

Should it be working the same way for User Tools, or should I just know I have to re-start to get any new synched edits to show?

Abram,

The User Tools should be treated the same as User Notes.

Can you look in the User Tools folders on your iMac, MacBook, and Dropbox to make sure the actual file name matches? (you should not have files with and without the file extension "acc7") For Example, you don't want "My Tool.acc7" on your iMac and "My Tool" on your Macbook. This "mismatched user content file names" scenario existed on some users computers after Accordance 10.3.x updated their user content for cross platform compatibility.

If all three file names are the same (and not a mixture), then could you go through another update-sync sequence to see if the problem remains (having to restart Accordance to see changes)?

Mike

Edited by Mike Garrity

Hi, Mike--sure thing. Can do. I won't be at my iMac again till Wednesday, but I'll look into it then if I can.

Checking just now via my MacBook, the name of the file in my Dropbox and in my MacBook match exactly, including the .acc7 extension. There are no duplicate files with different extensions, either.

The file name was identical on my iMac, too.

And I actually had the same syncing issue with another User Tool, where work I did on the MacBook didn't sync to my iMac, even though Dropbox was up-to-date. In fact, going to Preferences/Sync caused a crash, but then when I re-opened, the User Tool was properly updated.

Hi Abram,

I wonder if the link between your Dropbox account and Accordance is broken (causing the crash when the syncing preference panel was displayed). If you cannot unlink from Dropbox within Accordance then you can do it from the web (https://www.dropbox.com/account#security) and choose your iMac.

So, I recommend you quit Accordance, unlink your iMac, rerun Accordance and it will ask you to re-link it to dropbox. Let us know if that fixes the updating problem.

BTW, I was able to update User Tools from my MBAir to my iMac using Dropbox in 10.4.

Mike

Thanks, Mike--I can check that out. Before it crashed, I did get to show Sync preferences, which showed it as linked to Dropbox, and set to automatically update. (Once I saw that, it crashed.) The updating still did happen automatically upon Accordance re-start, so I'm not sure the linking is broken, per se.

But I can certainly un-link and re-link; that's no problem.