Create Map of Sites from a Single Book of the Bible

Abram K-J

I'm fairly new to the Map/Atlas, although since getting it last year, I have had a fun time playing with it a bit.

This Sunday I'm going to use it for the first time in a sermon, which I'm looking forward to.

It's got me thinking more broadly... if I wanted to put together a map of, say, the locations that Matthew mentions, how could I do that? I do see the "New Testament Sites" layer and a couple routes (Jesus' temptation) that are pertinent, but I'm wondering about an easy(ish) way to run a search for place names in Matthew and then search/plot them on the map.

I thought maybe I could run a book search by grammatical tag, finding all the proper nouns but (1) you can't amplify to the map from a Greek text and (2) I can't find a Proper Noun tag in a Greek text anyway--I thought there was one, but I only see Noun.

Anyway--it's been a long day, so I might just be missing something(s) obvious, but I'd be grateful for any input on how to make a map that is specific to a book of the Bible, whether it's Matthew or some other.

Edited by Abram K-J

There is no way to automate this, but you could search the PhotoGuide for references to Matthew, then add those places to a custom site layer.

Much simpler is to define a site layer limited to the Gospels as that "period" is defined in the Define Site Layers dialog. Biblical periods include the sites mentioned in that range of books, Archaeological Periods (in Advanced) include sites populated in that period.

Thank you, Helen--I'll give it a try.