How to search for all derived forms of a root

Martin Z

I'm doing word study on the word root "קוה"

a search on the root returns all the occurrences in the OT, which is quite nice.

It also lists all the derived forms.

Total number of verses = 106
(total number of verses displayed = 106)
+קוה (122 total words)
Number of different forms = 12:
‏(קוה) קוה־1‎ to wait for, hope = 47
‏(קוה) תִּקְוָה־2 hope = 32
‏(קוה) קַו־1 line = 13
‏(קוה) קַו־3 line = 8
‏(קוה) מִקְוֶה־1 hope = 5
‏(קוה) קְוֵה Keveh = 4
‏(קוה) מִקְוֶה־2 gathering, reservoir = 3
‏(קוה) קָוֶה line = 3
‏(קוה) קוה־2 to gather = 2
‏(קוה) תִּקְוָה־1 cord = 2
‏(קוה) תִּקְוָה־3 Tikvah = 2
(קוה) מִקְוָה reservoir = 1

But I don't all the list. I just want to search for the words that are associated with the meaning "to hope."

Therefore I searched for קוה־1+

Interestingly, Acc. seems to ignore the "־1" and return the same result.

The only way I can do is to search for the following words:

(קוה־1, =תִּקְוָה־2, =מִקְוֶה־1=)

That means that I have do launch the search for the root first, and get the wanted result.

(קוה) קוה־1 to wait for, hope = 47
‏(קוה) תִּקְוָה־2 hope = 32
(קוה) מִקְוֶה־1 hope = 5

And then search for (=קוה־1, =תִּקְוָה־2, =מִקְוֶה־1) to get the wanted verse list.

Is there an easier way to do the searching?

Another interesting thing concerning this particular root: since the homonym-קוה־1 is related to "hope"

why does תִּקְוָה־1 mean "cord", but תִּקְוָה־2 means "hope"? (This is the a question of coding system rather than of Acc tech.)

Thank you very much!

Martin

Edited by martinacc

The lemmas are assigned by The Groves Institute at Westminster. I believe that the standard is HALOT but not every lemma will exactly follow it.

You are correct that to find the lemmas associated with specific meanings you must do a lemma search. The roots are linked to the lemmas only, not to the meanings.

HI Martin,

a really cool feature of accordance is the ability to use the analysis pane as your search criteria. You can only do it one at a time, but it is very useful and may go some way to simplifying your task

so I have attached a pdf about how to do this

searchin for analysis results.pdf

Just as another thought. Once you know the lemmas you want using the root analysis, it is much easier then to do the search you want using the Enter Lexical form dialog, or the construct search. This is how you do the first one.

Get your analysis (as you indicated above) so you can see the lemmas you want.

Select "Enter Lexical Form" from the Search menu (make sure you are in Word mode)

post-29509-0-79509000-1396387570_thumb.png

type קוה and select the root you want (single click). (make sure the use exact lemma box is checked at the bottom)

post-29509-0-93354700-1396387576_thumb.png

then type תִּקְוָה and select it (notice it gets placed in the selection box with a comma automatically)

post-29509-0-72226800-1396387582_thumb.png

Then do the same for מִקְוֶה

post-29509-0-09303700-1396387575_thumb.png

Notice that all three are now in the bottom box

post-29509-0-18154000-1396387573_thumb.png

Select OK and they will all be properly formatted and placed in the search entry box

post-29509-0-23662400-1396387579_thumb.png

Perform the search by pressing <return> and you have your results

post-29509-0-49330500-1396387585_thumb.png

Thanks a lot for the detailed demonstration, Ken!
I did use the same steps to search for those related words.
I was just wondering if there could be an option for search for those related words without finding those lemmas and using the "Enter Lexical Form" function.
I was expecting for an option too accomplish this task, in addition to "Lemma, Inflected, Root, Tag, and Word (Literal)" options.

As Helen said, "the roots are linked to the lemmas only, not to the meanings." Therefore, we cannot ask the program to find the associated lemmas and launch a search on them. We have to find them out individually. and then use the "Enter Lexical Form" to accomplish the task.

I was still wondering... if it is possible to have this function on Acc. in the future.
Here are my thoughts:
In Van Pelt and Practico's Vocabulary Guide to Biblical Hebrew, there is a section called "Hebrew Words Arranged by Common Root."

on p. 126, they list the verb קוה (QP3mp) and תִּקְוָה under that common root קוה. (Interestingly though, מִקְוֶה is not included).

They have also listed the words in different groups if they are from the different roots, although the roots are the same. One example is on p.114 the first and 2nd words: lvm.

Is it possible to arrange the words according to this vocal list and add another word search function: "Search words from common root"?

Edited by martinacc

• 3 months later...

They have also listed the words in different groups if they are from the different roots, although the roots are the same.

In Accordance this would require marking different roots with a dash as they do with lemmas. But it appears this information is not in Accordance. Also, some lemmas are included under the wrong root in Accordance, though of course this could be a matter of debate. For example, תּוֹעֵבָה is given the root of יעב, but is most likely from the root תעב (see BDB and TWOT).

A question for Accordance: How were the roots in the database compiled? They do not seem to agree standard lexicons in a number of places. Were they computer generated or was there another lexicon followed?

As an aside: Is there a key command for search a root? For lemmas there is Command + 4. Command + 5 is Show Context. Command + 6 is empty, but because searching for the root is not a Menu item I cannot add it to the shortcuts. Can Accordance?

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

cfarcas@gcts.edu

A question for Accordance: How were the roots in the database compiled? They do not seem to agree standard lexicons in a number of places. Were they computer generated or was there another lexicon followed?

I see in another post Helen said that Accordance "used HALOT as the primary source, and BDB only as a secondary". Thus in my example, יעב is specified as the root in HALOT, while תעב is noted only secondarily. Tricky business these roots are for sure.

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '15
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

cfarcas@gcts.edu