How Does One Post a Screen Shot Here with a Mac?

Enoch

I tried before to take and post a screen shot here using the standard method for Mac (in my case MacBook Pro), but the result would not display; instead I got an error message (as I recall) ; I think that the format was not acceptable here.

So, how can I take a screen shot & then post it on this forum?

Thanks for ur help.

Mac screencapture defaults to tiff format, which can't be displayed in the forum. You need to open it in Preview, then save/export as jpg or png file.

Or type the following two lines into your terminal, and it will permanently change the screen capture file format to jpg, or png.

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg

Just change the jpg with png if you want that. Then type

killall SystemUIServer

Then your screen capture will default to whatever file format you specified above. Hope this helps.

Edited by Ken Han

Interesting. I am running OSX 10.9.2 and my default screenshot is PNG.

Interesting. I am running OSX 10.9.2 and my default screenshot is PNG.

When I use Grab, the files save as tiff. I have to manually convert to png. Preferences in Grab do not include file type and there is no "save as." Preview lets one "export" to png.

Accordance for Mac 10.4.0 [Mac OS X 10.9.2] Accordance for iOS 1.7.2 [iOS 7.1]

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

The somewhat sad part of this is that the screencapture utility that Grab drives does support telling it to save the file as a particular type as a cmdline argument. It would be nice enhancement for Apple to add a preference to Grab for this. Until then Ken's solution above is the best. I use an OSX alias for the screencapture cmd and run it from a terminal but that's not to everyone's taste.

Thx

D

Ah, I see what you are saying. I don't use Grab.

I use Cmd-3 (for the whole screen) and Cmd-4 (to select part of the screen). Either sends a PNG directly to my desktop.

Enjoy!

I looked at this a long time back and while I could not categorically prove it I was pretty convinced that Cmd-3 and Cmd-4 called screencapture also presumably specifying better defaults for saving the capture. Maybe someone knows for sure ....

In the end, sad as it may seem, I could not keep Cmd-3 and 4 straight in my head, so resorted to other techniques :( Out of shortcut memory storage error :)

Thx

D

Like Daniel, I cannot remember those keyboard commands. I will say it is the infrequency that I need them. It couldn't be age! :rolleyes:

Personally, like many of us, I can't remember these either. So I use a program called Deeper which is free and allows you to set a lot of parameters in the Mac OS (some of which are a little dangerous - i.e. can mess with your system)

post-29509-0-31477600-1396483698_thumb.png

Edited by Ken Simpson

This is the one to remember: ⇧⌘4

Select a region with the crosshairs, or press space once, and it turns into a camera that will capture a whole window. Either way, it saves a png file to your desktop.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11229

• Like 1

If you can't remember which is which, just try one. If the cross hairs come up, you can select a portion of your screen. If they don't come up, you know you've got the entire screen.

You can change the format and destination of your screen shot by following these instructions (attached). I switched to .jpg because it's cross-platform. Even a PC can see it.

Screen Shot Destination & Format.pdf

Edited by Julie Falling

For those that want to be fancy, adding a 'Control' to the mix sends it to the clipboard rather than desktop, for easy pasting into an e-mail or other. Finally, during a Shift-Command-4, you can hit the spacebar to switch from a crosshairs to a camera, selecting your window or menu that you want to screen capture instead. Cool stuff!

For some reason, the -3 and -4 commands have stuck with me since the early Mac days.

• Like 1

Joel – I like the options you mention. Macs are truly wonderful. For some reason, the -3 and -4 commands have stuck with me, too. When you consider my age and erratic memory, it's kinda surprising!

Some great tips here! I had no idea about pressing shift to change from crosshairs to camera--that's really helpful.

Because I change computers (from work iMac to home MacBook) so much during the course of a week, I have it set up so that all my screenshots save to Dropbox, so I can access them anywhere.

With all the back and forth on this topic there is now a chance I'll remember - which might make life easier.

BTW I checked and shift-cmd-4 does in fact use screencapture.

Thx

D

Thank you all so much for your help.

Julie, thanks for going to the trouble to supply me with that pdf.

I tried again and learned that the screen shot was a PNG file, but I still can't get it to paste here. All I get is the address for where it is found in my computer:

file:///Users/Me/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202014-04-09%20at%2022.49.07.png
And if I prefix ]img[ and suffix ]/img[, the whole thing disappears! and just now I got "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." So I went back and inverted the brackets

Edited by Enoch