⸌ siglum in NA28 in iOS doesn't hyperlink to apparatus

Abram K-J

John 1:13 in NA28 reads:

13 °οἳ οὐκ ἐξ αἱμάτων οὐδὲ ἐκ θελήματος σαρκὸς ⸋οὐδὲ ἐκ θελήματος ἀνδρὸς⸌ ἀλλ᾿ ἐκ θεοῦ ἐγεννήθησαν.

The ⸌ siglum on a Mac hyperlinks to show the (entire) apparatus at that verse:

13 ° D✱ |

⸋ B✱

But in iOS, tap-holding on the ⸌ siglum brings up Instant Details for the next Greek word.

One also cannot access ID at the same siglum in Luke 3:38, presumably because it's followed by a period.

I'll report correction via email, too, but it looked like something more systemic, so am posting here. Other examples: John 1:4, John 1:19, etc.

The NA28 works well otherwise--one curiosity here is that NA28 sigla in the desktop app all link just to the particular siglum under consideration in the apparatus, right? But then whenever the ⸌ siglum appears in the desktop app, the hyperlink shows the entire apparatus for the verse, not just for that instance.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense, and I can elaborate on what I'm seeing.

In the end, it's not hugely important for being able to read the apparatus, since ⸌ is preceded by ⸋, which siglum is working properly in iOS, so one can still get the information needed.

I noticed something similar with another siglum in NA28 on iOS... is there interest in pursuing this thread, such that I should report it here? I can take a screenshot or copy-paste and give details if so.

Two things here:

That siglum is a delimiter; it has no meaning apart from ⸋. For that reason it will never appear at the beginning of a line in the Apparatus, and Accordance (desktop) will instead show the whole verse when hovering over it.

On iOS there are some inconsistencies here and there with footnotes (whether sigla, letters, etc) in texts, which I believe is largely related to the current implementation of text selection. After arbitrary text selection is implemented this will likely be cleaned up. That said, in this particular case, when I tested on iPad (admittedly running a 1.7.4 alpha, but I don't think is any different than the current 1.7.3 release) it showed nothing in Instant Details, which is consistent with desktop, except that desktop defaults to showing the entire verse.

Two things here:

That siglum is a delimiter; it has no meaning apart from ⸋. For that reason it will never appear at the beginning of a line in the Apparatus, and Accordance (desktop) will instead show the whole verse when hovering over it.

That makes sense--thanks for the clarification. That delimiting siglum isn't in the print edition, either, so this makes good sense to me that the desktop app would revert to the apparatus for that whole verse.

On iOS there are some inconsistencies here and there with footnotes (whether sigla, letters, etc) in texts, which I believe is largely related to the current implementation of text selection. After arbitrary text selection is implemented this will likely be cleaned up. That said, in this particular case, when I tested on iPad (admittedly running a 1.7.4 alpha, but I don't think is any different than the current 1.7.3 release) it showed nothing in Instant Details, which is consistent with desktop, except that desktop defaults to showing the entire verse.

Okay--glad to hear it. Were you also able to repeat the cases (in my OP) where Instant Details on iOS were not blank, but pulled up info for the next Greek word instead? (I.e., tapping the last siglum in John 1:13 shows ID for ἀλλ᾿, which is an actual difference from what the desktop does.)

In John 1:18 (NA28 in iOS, 1.7.3) with the ⸂ ⸃ siglum, the same thing happens, only in reverse. The left siglum on desktop gives just the info for that instance/siglum, whereas the right siglum gives the whole verse's apparatus--as it sounds like is expected. But in the iOS app at the same place, the left siglum can only be highlighted also with the following μ, so that one sees ID for μονογενὴς. Then the right siglum shows the apparatus for the whole verse, which the desktop also does. So it's the same as in the OP, only flipped around, for some reason.

So too in a few other places I checked where ⸂ ⸃ appear in iOS (John 1:20, 1:38, e.g.).

I won't bother with any more reports along these lines in NA28 on iOS until arbitrary highlighting shows up--sounds like it might also fix the ⸂ ⸃ issue at John 1:18 (and elsewhere). I'll send this via Report a Correction, too. Thanks for checking it out.