A verse reference selection cannot be used from any tool

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I am wondering if anyone can explain why I see this message in the following class of cases. I was looking in Sacred Bridge and came across this piece of text :

It was demonstrated that the origin of the term is in the Latin versions of the Bible which was simply a translation of the Hebrew of Isaiah 8:23 and Matthew 4:15.

Now Isaiah 8:23 here is a link. And its a link that's only correct for a Hebrew bible numbering scheme. In any case I see the text of the verse in ID when I rollover the link or in a separate pane when I click it. But if I try to select it and right click and do a Search In -> HMT-W4 I get the error message in the title of this post.

Now if I use Set Tool Display to set the text to HMT-W4 I can see the Hebrew in the ID and clicking on it brings up HMT-W4 just fine. So I'm puzzled. If Acc can work out how to construct a reference correctly when the tool text relationship is set up in Set Tool Display what prevents it from constructing a verse search in a biblical text ?

This is not confined to SB I might add - its apparently true more generally because I can demonstrate the same thing from ZIBBCOT.

Thx

D

I can't answer the question as to why, but I can confirm that if you select the link with a space on both sides (just one won't work) you can amplify to a text.

post-30445-0-67921400-1396703331_thumb.png

Edited by Graham Buck

Hey Graham,

Thanx for that. I just found out that you only need a trailing character. The space before the link is not required but its easier to select with it often. But I was able to select a link "Matthew 4:15." and that works, to look up GNT28. So yes this helps greatly. If it is a bug let's hope it doesn't get fixed :)

Oh and it does not work for links which are rendered in the text as ch:vs, like some of the ones in ZIBBCOT, (1:1) referring to Exodus 1:1. If the book name is present it works but not like this. Which is probably an indication of the way the search is being done. Yeah ok so I think this technique is opening a text and pasting the select link text into the search box and doing a search for it. Because the text is a verse ref you get a verse search. Because if I just select the word Exodus, not a link and then Search In -> HMT-W4 that works as a search for the book of Exodus. And that would explain why without the book it can't do the search.

It looks like this must be a deliberate feature to permit looking up of a verse reference which is not a link. The additional characters the selection are removed before the search is done. So it seems if the selection is just text you don't need the additional chars. but if you have them ok, they get removed anyway. But if it is a scripture link then you need them to trigger the search handling code rather than the link handling code.

But yes with that caveat this is very helpful.

Many thanx

D