Way to reset default email client for Report a Correction on Mac?

Abram K-J

I was pleasantly surprised today to see that pulling up "Report a Correction" in my Windows Accordance automatically took me to Gmail in my Chrome browser to send the report. (I don't use a PC a whole lot.)

Is there a way to re-configure my Mac so that my default email client for Report a Correction is not Mail, but is (Web-based) Gmail?

It uses your default Mail application, which is set (among other places) as the first item in your Mail.app preferences. However, there are other ways to use Gmail as your default provider, though I haven't personally tried any of them. (see: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/3029/how-can-i-use-gmail-as-the-default-mail-client-app-in-mac-os-x)

• Like 1

Hi Abram,

I've had this query for a while.

Your post made me finally search out how.

You need to set your browser as your default mail app.

Curiously to do this you go through Mac Mail. If you use a regular mail app like Thunderbird it can do it for you. It would be handy if FF could do this directly but I couldn't see how.

For Firefox which is what I use I booted Mac Mail and when it had finally imported junk from years ago - I gave up using it ages ago - I went to preferences -> General -> Default email reader.

This in the pull down choose Select ... and hunt down the app of your choice.

Anyhow, there may be other ways but that got it going for me.

Er... and Joel beat me to it.

tx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow--this was super-easy in Chrome. It's now my default for reporting corrections. For anyone wondering:

For example, when you open Gmail in Chrome, a protocol handler icon [icon image not permitted by Accordance forums] may appear in the omnibox next to the star bookmarks icon. Click it to show the following options:

• If you'd like to allow Gmail to open all email links, select the Use Gmail radio button. When you click a hyperlinked email address on a page, Gmail's compose window will open.

(From here.)

• 3 years later...

I would like this Forum question/discussion updated:

"Is there a way to reconfigure my Mac so that my default email client for Report a Correction in Accordance is not Mail or MS Outlook, but is Gmail in Safari?"

(I'm now on High Sierra OS, Mac PowerBook, Accordance 12.1.5)

Edited by John F. Hart