Accordance 10.4.1 Highlight Crash

Julia Falling

Hey –

After months of rare crashing, I am plagued by it today.

I chose text, highlight. Chose some more text, highlight. Then Accordance hangs. I force quit. I restart Accordance and get this error message.

post-330-0-19755500-1398105978_thumb.jpg

So I used TimeMachine to replace the current highlight file with an earlier version (today). Same result. I went back to yesterday and did the same thing. Same result.

What now?

I've attached my compressed Highlights folder. I am unable to even add a User Note at this point without a crash. I've rebooted my Mac.

Highlights.zip

Edited by Julie Falling

Hey –

After months of rare crashing, I am plagued by it today.

I chose text, highlight. Chose some more text, highlight. Then Accordance hangs. I force quit. I restart Accordance and get this error message.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-04-21 at 1.45.49 PM.jpg

So I used TimeMachine to replace the current highlight file with an earlier version (today). Same result. I went back to yesterday and did the same thing. Same result.

What now?

I've attached my compressed Highlights folder. I am unable to even add a User Note at this point without a crash. I've rebooted my Mac.

Julie,

You need to contact Accordance technical support...."highlighting" causes both my MAC and PC to crash....this has been happening for a while..

Frank

Thanks, Frank. Will do. It's frustrating, isn't it?

I'm really sorry about all the highlighting crashes, but the good news is that 10.4.2 (in testing now!) has some features to make the highlighting much, much more rugged.

If you have automatic syncing with dropbox and you get a corrupt highlight file appears it can be very awkward to fix. I currently have automatic syncing turned off because of the issue. When you restore the highlight file from time-machine but do not remove the file from dropbox then I think it might overnight the newly restored version with the dropbox version. I think the versions on IOS might also need to be removed. About two months ago I suddenly had issues with a corrupt highlight file. I restored from time-machine but continued to get problems. I eventually turned off auto-sync then restored. Updated the highlight file on the desktop version then manually sync'd. I have left auto syncing turned off and I have not had the problem since. There might be no link but it was a bit suspicious.

Steve – Yeah, I did that a couple of months ago, then, mistakenly, thought all was well and turned automatic syncing back on. I got in a mess again. When the Highlights go bad, Accordance is basically disabled.

I called Tech Support, but we were unable to make any progress.

So I shut down all programs and ran Disk Utility. Then I fired up TechTool Pro and checked for corrupt files. None of them were Accordance files, but I trashed them anyway. Then I rebooted from the eDrive (partition on the drive that has a bare bones version of OS X plus TTP). That enabled me to check the Volume (MacBook Air SSD) – TTP said it failed. So I told TTP to rebuild the Volume. Now everything is working. Notes, Highlights, everything. This is one of many times TTP has solved a computer problem I was unable to solve any other way. Should have tried it first!

I've turned off automatic syncing and will keep it off until I hear from y'all that the Highlights issue is solved. Rugged sounds good, Joel.

Julie and Steve,

I recommend using the dropbox web interface to restore previous versions of your dropbox-synced user content (notes, tools, highlights). If you use time machine to restore a file then I don't think Accordance will always consider this file "newer" than the file on dropbox.

So, when Julie noticed/suspected that her highlight file was corrupt, I recommend:

• In your web browser, log in to dropbox and navigate to Dropbox > Apps > Accordance > Highlights.
  • You will see a list of your highlights, right click on the suspected corrupt file and select "previous versions".
  • Select a previous version from the list and click restore (maybe choose a version right before your highlighting session).
  • Now run Accordance and do a dropbox sync

This is the critical difference between time machine restores and dropbox restores; the dropbox restored file will always be considered "newer" and will replace the current file. Whenever dropbox-synced user content is "managed" outside of the sync workflow (wifi sync, time machine restore, etc.) then there is a chance that Accordance will get confused when trying to figure out what to sync.

We suspect that the highlight corruption might happen when a user adds a highlight at about the same time the file is being dropbox synced. We have not been able to reproduce this condition but will add more precautions in 10.4.2.

Sorry for the troubles,

Mike