The New English Bible

aznav

Back in the early seventies, I bought, read, studied, and memorized out of the "NEB" for about two years. I still refer to some of my memory review with them and also found they had an excellent way of making some verses very clear.

What happened to the NEB? Does anyone have a link as to its history and whether revisions were made over the years or if it dropped off the earth? I have had very little luck in tracing this.

Lastly, recognizing this as a long shot, can I upload this version to my Accordance as an additional module? Thank you!!

The Revised English Bible is the update to the New English Bible. The REB is available for Accordance.

Here is my review of the REB with some comparisons to the NEB:

http://thislamp.com/posts/2006/7/18/the-revised-english-bible-top-ten-bible-versions-6.html

A competitor has released the NEB as well. The competitors edition of both the REB and NEB have the translation notes. I hope that Accordance updates it's copy of the REB with it's notes soon.

-Dan

My very first proper Bible (1977???) was the NEB, the boring bits were in extra small print so you could skip over them.

Can anyone explain the unusual rendering of Judges 1:14 in the NEB?

When she came to him, he incited her to ask her father for a piece of land. As she sat on the ass, she broke wind, and Caleb said, ‘What did you mean by that?’ The New English Bible (New York: Oxford University Press; Cambridge University Press, 1970), Jdg 1:14.

14. he nagged her. With LXX, Vulg., against MT which reads “she nagged him.” The latter does less damage to the image of the first “savior judge” (3:7–10) and may be taken as a tendentious development. The proposal to relate ṣnḥ, “dismount,” to Akk. ṣanāḫu and render “she broke wind” as in NEB (Godfrey Rolles Driver, “Problems of Interpretation in the Hexateuch,” Mélanges bibliques rediges en l’honneur de André Robert [Paris: Bloud and Gay, 1966], pp. 75–76) has not found wide acceptance. It founders on scanty Akkadian evidence and semantic confusion in such a paraphrastic translation as the NEB in our verse. In any case the revival of this pericope by the final redactor suggests a reason why the earlier compiler of the body of the book confined himself to rubrics in reporting the career of Othniel as the first and ideal judge.

Robert G. Boling, Judges: Introduction, Translation, and Commentary (vol. 6A; Anchor Yale Bible; New Haven; London: Yale University Press, 2008), 56–57.

We do have the REB which succeeded the NEB. I am not sure there is even an etext available for the NEB. If you can get hold of one you can create a user Bible with it. We would need to get the rights to use it, if we wanted to offer it with Accordance.

Vot der Dumboo

We do have the REB which succeeded the NEB. I am not sure there is even an etext available for the NEB. If you can get hold of one you can create a user Bible with it. We would need to get the rights to use it, if we wanted to offer it with Accordance.

I bought my NEB New Testament back in 1963. That is over 50 years ago. Hasn't the copyright expired on the NT? Public domain now?

Edited by Enoch

When she came to him, he incited her to ask her father for a piece of land. As she sat on the ass, she broke wind, and Caleb said, ‘What did you mean by that?’ The New English Bible (New York: Oxford University Press; Cambridge University Press, 1970), Jdg 1:14.
14. he nagged her. With LXX, Vulg., against MT which reads “she nagged him.” The latter does less damage to the image of the first “savior judge” (3:7–10) and may be taken as a tendentious development. The proposal to relate ṣnḥ, “dismount,” to Akk. ṣanāḫu and render “she broke wind” as in NEB (Godfrey Rolles Driver, “Problems of Interpretation in the Hexateuch,” Mélanges bibliques rediges en l’honneur de André Robert [Paris: Bloud and Gay, 1966], pp. 75–76) has not found wide acceptance. It founders on scanty Akkadian evidence and semantic confusion in such a paraphrastic translation as the NEB in our verse. In any case the revival of this pericope by the final redactor suggests a reason why the earlier compiler of the body of the book confined himself to rubrics in reporting the career of Othniel as the first and ideal judge.
Robert G. Boling, Judges: Introduction, Translation, and Commentary (vol. 6A; Anchor Yale Bible; New Haven; London: Yale University Press, 2008), 56–57.

Vot de Dumboozle! I had no idea any major translation would give such a bold translation (since King David's notorious KJV "against the wall" translation). I think that the original NEB had a condemnation vs being a "loose liver." One thing about the NEB, it sure is easy to read and understand. Even though it is hardly a translation to use for proof-texting, I love my NEB NT -- I have never read the OT in it. The truth about wisdom comes out so clearly at the start of 1 Corinthians.

Now I know that Accordance has to have this translation.

Edited by Enoch

I am not sure I agree with that translation but I am glad it made it into a widely circulated translation so it is discussed a bit. And generally I think that many translators often do their best to remove textual jokes that likely are suppose to be there for the sake of propriety. So we end up with a much more bland inoffensive Bible translation.

-Dan

I've often noticed that first editions of translations often take "risks"--that is, they are willing to phrase things quite differently, often making decisions upon minority scholarship opinions. You can see this in the NEB vs. the REB, as well as the first editions of translations like the NLT and HCSB. I can only then imagine that once feedback starts to flow in, committees back down a bit, and tone down some of a translation's more unique renderings. And then the next editions start to all sound more and more alike.

Of course, the NEB stood on the shelves, essentially "as is" for 20 years as it was conceived in a day when much of the editorial process had to be done in person. A translation like the NLT, first released in 1996 has received multiple updates published over the years although according to the copyright info, there was only a first and second edition (nevertheless, there are multiple differences between various passages in each "edition" between various printings).

• 2 weeks later...

I found the NT online at http://www.katapi.org.uk/NEB/master.html?http://www.katapi.org.uk/NEB/IntroContents.php

The Wisdom of Solomon is at arm.org/wisdom-of-solomon

It think the whole thing is $40 by Logos. A table of electronic bibles is found at

http://maybetoday.org/scriptura/bible-in-english/electronic-versions-of-the-bible-in-english/

Edited by Enoch

Yes it available on Logos and I have it there. But I do not wish to discourage Accordance from doing it. A lot of items are available here or there... I am glad I have it there, and I personally would not likely duplicate the translation in Accordance because it is not a primary translation for me but I will agree it is an important one. If I were wealthy I would gladly make my Accordance account robust with most all the wonderful resources it has to offer, but I have resources most often where it came available first (or where I find it cheapest).

-Dan

• 5 months later...

Vot de Dumboozle! I had no idea any major translation would give such a bold translation (since King David's notorious KJV "against the wall" translation). I think that the original NEB had a condemnation vs being a "loose liver." One thing about the NEB, it sure is easy to read and understand. Even though it is hardly a translation to use for proof-texting, I love my NEB NT -- I have never read the OT in it. The truth about wisdom comes out so clearly at the start of 1 Corinthians.

Now I know that Accordance has to have this translation.

Well, you convinced them to offer the English RV, so why not the NEB? :)

Well, you convinced them to offer the English RV, so why not the NEB? :)

Well Alistair, Accordance was gracious enough to do a lot of fixing of the ASV module at my request. Now if only I could convince Accordance to make the ASV one of the translations that are tied to the original text by the mutual hover function (hover over an English word & you get the Hebrew & vice versa). Accordance has done that for the modernized NASB, but not the original NASB. These modern, more easy-reading texts, IMHO, are unworthy of the effort, as the literal word for word translations are more compatible with the hovercraft function. I think it fair to say that the old ASV is generally regarded as the most literal word for word translation ever made by a committed of scholars -- in the case of the ASV, I think it is the result of Oxford/Cambridge scholars who made the RV, then refined by an American Committee, not bound by the 2/3 vote to depart from the KJV in a reading.

Truly the ASV is a great translation for the man who wants to know exactly what the original means. If one is going to pick a few to have the mutual hover function, the ASV should be number one on the list. But I don't know how to convince Accordance nor prove to them that it would be profitable in $$$.

• 7 years later...
  • 4 months later...

The NEB is a significant translation that is referred to in commentaries, handbooks, translator notes, especially as it relates to alternative English renderings —with its literary flavor. The REB was a comprehensive revision that often removes some of the more vibrant English, and so using the NEB is still attractive.

I’d like to add my vote here. 

Edited by twilcoxson
  • Like 1