How to display the defined range text?

Martin Z

Hello,

the method I use is to change the defined range, and than search for *.

This brings up all the verses of a defined range.

The problem is that (almost) all text become red.

I wonder if there another way to display the defined range without lounching a search for *?

Thanks

Unless I've misunderstood you, you've been asking Accordance for all of the words in a given range, which it naturally highlighted in red as the results of your search. If you just want Accordance to display those verses, switch to a verse search and type in the reference (such as john 14.1-6).

Try the [RANGE] command. In addition to Jonathan's method of just entering in your range, it lets you use the name of a predefined range in quotes, such as [RANGE "Poetry"]. Shift-Command-R (shift-control-R on Windows) is its hotkey, or available in the menu and right-click menu.

Unless I've misunderstood you, you've been asking Accordance for all of the words in a given range, which it naturally highlighted in red as the results of your search. If you just want Accordance to display those verses, switch to a verse search and type in the reference (such as john 14.1-6).

Thanks Jonathan.

I should have said a little bit more about that.

a verse search works fine for temporary use.

But what I want is, for example, I'm taking Aramaic right now, and I want to see all the Aramaic text, that is, Gen 31:47; Jer 10:11; Ezra 4:8-6:18; 7:12-26; Dan 2:4-7:28.

Then a verse search would not be of good help to me.

What I did was to define the range as above, and run a word search on *, which then brings up all the text as defined.

Try the [RANGE] command. In addition to Jonathan's method of just entering in your range, it lets you use the name of a predefined range in quotes, such as [RANGE "Poetry"]. Shift-Command-R (shift-control-R on Windows) is its hotkey, or available in the menu and right-click menu.

That's what I wanted!

Thanks a lot Joel!

I'm glad you figured it out, but the text you typed here (Gen 31:47; Jer 10:11; Ezra 4:8-6:18; 7:12-26; Dan 2:4-7:28) should get what you want as well. The references don't have to be contiguous or even in canonical order.

I'm glad you figured it out, but the text you typed here (Gen 31:47; Jer 10:11; Ezra 4:8-6:18; 7:12-26; Dan 2:4-7:28) should get what you want as well. The references don't have to be contiguous or even in canonical order.

Yes. But interesting though, the display order is Gen, Jer, Dan, and Ezra. Does the program follow the original Hebrew Bible order rather than the Protestant Bible (the same with the LXX) order?

The program uses whatever you select in the Define Ranges dialog, "Use Book Order In:" popup.

Joel: Yes, this is used to validate a range in the dialog. However, if you type a list of references in the Search tab entry box, they appear in the order you typed, no matter what you search text is. If you do a word search, the verses appear in the order of the current search text.

Joel: Yes, this is used to validate a range in the dialog. However, if you type a list of references in the Search tab entry box, they appear in the order you typed, no matter what you search text is. If you do a word search, the verses appear in the order of the current search text.

Unless I got wrong somewhere, I type Lev 1:1; Gen 1:1, but the displayed order is Gen 1:1; Lev 1:1.

post-32138-0-40011300-1398603799_thumb.png

Don't use the range command. Just enter Lev 1:1; Gen 1:1. The Range command is intended to restrict what portion of the text is used for a search, such as finding all occurrences of the word "love" in the book of Matthew (love <AND> [RANGE matthew]). If you are only wanting to Accordance to display the verses without any accompanying search, just enter the references.

post-30744-0-52331300-1398606692_thumb.png

Edited by JonathanHuber

Right, only use the [RANGE] command when you need to use one of your predefined ranges. All other times, just enter in the search directly, like Jonathan said.

Make sure you set your context slider to 0 or it still won't make much sense as a verse search